Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

What kind of chair do you use for practice?

One of my biggest problems these days is finding the right chair for my practice sessions. I just can’t seem to find anything truly comfortable. I have considered a “musicians” glider but the reviews are mixed at best. Any thoughts?

3 Likes

About the only thing that works for me is the middle seat of a large couch. Anything with armrests gets in the way.

5 Likes

I have a straight back chair with a seat cushion. No armrests. I really have to have my back supported.

4 Likes

I vary from a leather padded stool, to the middle of a tall backed couch, I find armrests distracting too.

5 Likes

Lay-Z-Boy, most of the time

2 Likes

My favorite is an armless shaker style rocker. I think I got mine from here, but I don’t see the armless ones:

It might be worth a call to see if they would put an armless kit together for you.

5 Likes

Or if it’s a kit, and your not too picky, you could just leave out installing the arms…haha

I love the idea of an armless rocker!

3 Likes

Pretty much anything without arm rests.

2 Likes

I’m not exactly tall… 5’4.5" - so for me, if my feet cant touch the floor (most recliners) it doesnt work out too well for me. Other than trying to avoid dangly feet, I’ll use anything, or even nothing at all (AKA sit on the floor, the steps, stand up etc) to practice.

Having said that, I used to work in a furniture store & would go practice mandolin on lunch hour out in the furniture warehouse. I had all kinds of chairs to try out there! I prefer the lower height chairs, but my favorites were armless upholstered chairs with a wide seat deck so I could set my phone and/or little bluetooth speaker next to me on the chair to play along with. Here are a couple photo examples I found online of the types of chair style I’m talking about, they were generally very comfy (would be great for extra long practice sessions) & come in different heights (again, I personally prefer the shortie version :grin:): Do I personally own one of these? Nope, but maybe someday lol!

5 Likes

A comfy one I have a big butt. I have an office executive chair with arms

1 Like

I recently got a drum throne, and I’m very happy with it. It’s very comfortable, and very easy to get comfortable on. It also has the benefit of being small and out of the way, so I don’t have to worry about hitting my headstock on it. I tried a variety of straight back chairs, a fender guitar stool, and my office chair. Since I got the drum throne, I have stopped looking for a better practice chair.

PDP by DW 700 Series Round-Top Throne.

3 Likes

The throne is a great idea!

4 Likes

Hmmmm, I have a Roc-&-Soc drum throne here that has a back on it (a friend is storing a kit here). It looks like a Cadillac of thrones. It might be a good option!

I sometimes have picking groups here at the house and as a result, most of my chairs are armless. The dining table chairs are all armless. I have little folding chairs that work great (cost about $20 each). Stools work well too, although I wouldn’t want to sit there for hours.

2 Likes

My wife bought me a “picking chair” It’s a glider without arms and very comfortable. The price is about 375 delivered. I highly recommend it

3 Likes

I bought this one online…can’t remember where. It’s pretty comfortable and I like a chair with no arms.

7 Likes

I’ve been considering one of those. I want to be able to rest my head and neck as well.

1 Like

I have tried using a larger exercise ball and that was good for awhile but I needed a change. So I am using a straight backed oak wood chair which sort of works for now but the seat needs some type of cushion to sit on. But I am always looking for a more comfortable chair.

1 Like

I typically use a standard armless dining room chair if I’m not standing. I like to sit while learning and stand while practicing.

5 Likes

I was gifted a sectional couch that works nicely.

4 Likes