Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

What is God?

I want to go there!

1 Like

Is this series going to take the whole year? I looked them up and there are 107 of them.

What is great is I have a series coming up in about four weeks that covers the Nicene Creed. This looks like a real in-depth step over that even.

1 Like

Being that we’re Baptists, we’re not going to affirm all 107. I’m a 1689 Confession guy myself: https://founders.org/1689-confession/

We’ve selected 12 of the 107 WSC questions and preaching on one per month. There are many more I’d like to do, but we chose some that go along with our study of Romans.

Yeah I could see someone doing them all at once but could be a bit heavy.

A portion of chapter 3 of the 1689 Baptist Confession that consolidates some of the theology in my message above:

1. From all eternity God decreed everything that occurs, without reference to anything outside himself.1 He did this by the perfectly wise and holy counsel of his own will, freely and unchangeably. Yet God did this in such a way that he is neither the author of sin nor has fellowship with any in their sin.2 This decree does not violate the will of the creature or take away the free working or contingency of second causes. On the contrary, these are established by God’s decree.3 In this decree God’s wisdom is displayed in directing all things, and his power and faithfulness are demonstrated in accomplishing his decree.4

1Isaiah 46:10; Ephesians 1:11; Hebrews 6:17; Romans 9:15, 18. 2James 1:13; 1 John 1:5. 3Acts 4:27, 28; John 19:11. 4Numbers 23:19; Ephesians 1:3–5.

1. God knows everything that could happen under any given conditions.5 However, his decree of anything is not based on foreseeing it in the future or foreseeing that it would occur under such conditions.6

5Acts 15:18. 6Romans 9:11, 13, 16, 18.

Chapter 5 addresses it as well: https://founders.org/1689-confession/chapter-5-divine-providence/

Very nice. That totally could help in this upcoming series on Creed.

Great sermon. I appreciate the passion in your voice. It makes those points very real concerning the magnitude of God.

1 Like

@BanjoBen you’re an illustration machine! This is something that I wish I was so much better at. (It’s actually on my New Year’s Preaching Resolutions List)

I used your tension like a guitar string illustration this past Sunday. I taught a class on grace that is 1. Great enough to cover any and all sin (Room 5:21-22) and also 2. Teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness (Titus 2:12). So which side is grace on? Tension, Baby!

Except I said the perfect tension on a banjo string makes a beautiful noise…and then I offered my repentance for lying about perfectly tuned banjo strings.

2 Likes

I’m totally with you that the Scriptures can’t contradict themselves…God can’t discover something new while simultaneously knowing all things.

Where I’m at, people are always trying to make the Bible attack itself. Therefore I’m always trying to refine my responses to such alleged contradictions.

1 Like

Every major truth of God I can think of produces tension in our tiny brains, and every false gospel I can think of tries to relieve that tension in some way.

1 Like

I had to come back to this post. Genesis 7, “God remembered Noah…” Like he forgot the Roast in the oven. lol This passage coming up this week.

2 Likes

'Bout like Exodus 2:24.

“Oh ya! Those people I left in Egypt 400 years ago. I been wondering what coat pocket I left them in…” Yeah right (Gen 15:13).

2 Likes

Ben,
I am an atheist, but I hope you’ll let me stick around and jam.:wink:

Absolutely, glad to have you .

1 Like

I finally got a chance to watch this. I really enjoyed it, and it helps to remind me that I shouldn’t have any fear of the future. Thanks for posting this!

1 Like

Amen, that’s right. You can see part 2 here: Providence: God Works All Things Together for His Glory & the Good of His People

That was phenomenal…thank you.

My takeaway.

Don’t fear the future. Why, because God said not to, and he knows and is the one in total control of everything the future holds down to the tiniest atom.

Thanks again from one who is quite prone to bouts of anxiety.

Do you see yourself becoming a full time pastor or evangelist? It seems your heading in this direction more and more.

Appreciate your truthfulness.

That’s great! Even when we preach high theology, application and encouragement should be part of the result.

I don’t think I’ll be full-time, but I’ll do what he tells me. He’s given me a way to make a living through the site so that I don’t have to be a burden on a church’s budget.