Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Up the neck (mandolin)

That would entail a huge amount of work on Ben’s part for what might be limited results on your end in my opinion.

I’d suggest maybe trying to tab out Sierra’s break that you like and seeing how far you can get…then asking here for assistance on places that get you stuck, and you just can’t figure out.

Yes, it takes some time, patience, & perseverance…but I believe you would learn far more this way, might surprise yourself on what you and figure out on your own with some effort, and the experience would be a far bigger help in you being able to figure things out in the future.

Thanks for your comments. I am sure it would be a lot of work to put this type of lesson(s) together. Hopefully, I would not be the only one to benefit from his efforts. Ben is constantly adding new lessons to his site and I thought that he might be interested in some customer feedback/suggestions. The site is very helpful and I really enjoy and appreciate Bens dedication and abilities. I am a firm believer that “you have not because you ask not”… Either way, I am a huge fan and supporter. God Bless.

1 Like

hey Jeff, it’s all good.

If you’re not comfortable with experimenting as Chris has suggested, or trying to work anything out on your own, you might take a look through the Advanced Mandolin Checklist

There is a lot of 2nd & 3rd position stuff to learn there.

Here is a tab lesson on that waltz

Pays to learn how to google

this one off mando cafe Chris? (downloadable PDF)
https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=133741&d=1430857125

(Your link didn’t show up)

Thanks,
I forgot to paste it.

Waltzes would work well and I would guess there are a lot that would have high parts. I guess Sierra is playing a Mandola. Some of that goes above the 12th fret which is a little tricky on a mandolin.

I do not see any waltzes for mandolin in the lessons list (maybe just missing them)
I do think waltzes are particularly good for beginners interested in bluegrass.

I suppose that one problem might be that a lot are copyrighted.

But still, I think that you would gain more by watching Sierra play it and duplicating it on your own than simply memorizing some tab version.

1 Like

There are a one or two in each level of the “Mandolin Checklists”

Amazing Grace, Old Rugged Cross, Away in the Manger…

No your supposed to tab ot out yourself as a learning experience, or wad someone else doing that?

Ahh, yeah they just did not stand out as being waltzes -Old Rugged Cross seems particularly applicable
Has some high parts, cross picking, slides, tremolo.

My wife who is a much better fiddle player then I am a mandolin player started at age 8 in the Suzuki method which emphasized learning music the same way we learn language by hearing it and duplicating it -learning to read it comes later.

Just my opinion but I started off doing the fiddle tune tab thing and it is really more an exercise in memory finger placements. Like wanting to learn a song in Spanish by copying a Spanish singer. You don’t even have to know what the words mean or anything about the language.

I am sure that Sierra could play it a hundred different ways and they would all be top notch.

Here is Chris Thile playing it on a mandolin in D.

I know that I have taught some fiddle tunes in two different octaves…hmmm.

You also taught will the circle be unbroken in lower and upper octave

Here is a video where I am basically using Bens build a break technique to work up Tennessee Waltz. First find the chords and basic melody in three places (bottom middle and upper neck) then start adding embellishment with double stops and filler notes. Then you can also find tabs to help get ideas.

Sorry I got lost trying to find the high chords and still ramble a lot.

That was great. Thank you for taking the time to put this together. It is very helpful. Sometimes it takes a while for things to click in my simple mind. I will review Ben’s lessons and your video and see what I come up with. Take care. Have a Blessed Thanksgiving!