Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Ukulele Advice

Man, this is a jumping thread!

On setup: ukes don’t need to be (and shouldn’t be) set up real low like a mando. The strings are floppy (technical term) and real low action wouldn’t work. However as others have said, slightly higher action is easier to play due to the nylon strings. My personal experience with cheaper ukes is that they often need a fret leveling. This is quick and easy if you have a flat file and a crowning file. Big things you can’t easily fix: bridge placement (intonation), neck angle, and a twisted neck. Get those things good and you have an instrument that can be setup relatively easily.

On tuners: All good comments above. Funny thing: my “good” ukes have tuners that don’t function well. I have two older Martin ukes with friction tuners (not wooden pegs like a violin, but still friction). They just don’t work that well. If you adjust them tight enough to not slip, they are very tough to turn. My $40 el cheapo has a set of geared tuners that looks like they cost a couple dollars and they work great. Go figure.

Just ordered a Luna Maluhia Concert Ukulele - Mahogany

4 Likes