Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

To Mando, or Not to Mando; That is the Question

Hi Chris,

How is the new Mandolin excursion coming along from your side?

I am having a blast over here!

Thanks for checking in @anon8000755. The journey has been fun. Having played guitar I understood the basics of playing a fretted instrument, but I am finding that the mando definitely comes with its own unique nuances.

I’ve been bouncing myself around through the beginner’s lessons. I spent some time with Arkansas Traveler. I am now working through the rhythm series. That series in particular has really helped me wrap my head around the foundational aspects of playing. I’m a believer in all good playing starting with rhythm. My muscle memory is finally starting to catch on to the idea of the closed position G chord. I’m tall with long fingers and that chord is still a stretch. Major respect to any short fingered players. Comfortably switching between the closed position G and D chords is my current goal.

Here is a question for you. Do you struggle with the headstock wanting to head towards the floor whenever you let go of the mando? Am I doing something wrong or is it just the nature of the beast with a light instrument and and a relatively heavy headstock? I’ve watched through the beginning lessons on holding the instrument and what-not. But I feel that no matter what I do the with strap length or sitting position that unless I am supporting it with my fretting hand or applying pressure against my body with my picking arm that the headstock is going down. Stupid gravity.

Thanks again for checking in. Anything you are working through or any big revelations on your end?

This might be one place where your guitar chops might work against you a bit. I am guessing you curl your left hand and long fingers to strike the strings with the fingertips, am I right?

You see, my fingers - although numb and calloused - are still getting chewed up on Mando at this early stage.

That said, I don’t think I have so much a problem with the headstock sliding down because I saw the intro lesson on how Ben “anchors” his fret hand against the back of the neck. In open and low fret positions, he uses the base of his first (pointing) finger WITH his thumb to support the fretting. Then, as he moves up, he uses more of his thumb over the top of the back of the neck.

Please review his intro to Mandolin again and not these details in the left hand positioning.

My thought is that the mandolin would be supported and not fall if Ben’s techniques are followed. Have a look-see - and let me know.

For me, the down (on the beat) and up (on the “and” of the beat - or between beats) is NOT easy to maintain - especially during cross-string jumps.

EXample: When I have to hit down on a string and the move to a higher string and strike upwards on the off-beat can throw me off. I may hit the right note - but in the wrong direction!

Then, the basic strum patters - to hit just the low string on the down and hit the chords on the off-beat… well the speed and repetition aren’t solid yet.

I think I will look at those exercises you mentioned.

I enjoy playing Amazing Grace (well, the 3rd pass is tricky with the cross-string strikes)… as well as Liberty, Arkansas Traveler and the others.

I am enjoying it very much!

Keep in touch, OK?

Hey Woodshed. I just now saw this entire thread. You inspire me. I just got a beginner mando and a guitar and want to learn both. So, yay us.

2 Likes