Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

The Spiral Discussion. STATUS: What are you listening to?

Nope, we saw a set of bagpipes in an antique store and he said something about them. He had never researched bagpipes before.

1 Like

@LorenDB, The same link also confesses this: “Regarding some of 2014’s largest global open source software vulnerabilities, he says, “In these cases, the eyeballs weren’t really looking”.[”.

The Linux or Linux software will not track or cover up anything, but that’s not enough as you can see from the quote above. Linux developers could continue to leave a security vulnerabilities pretending to be honest mistake with “catch us if you can” basis. Anything undetected during testing is a potential exploit. Until found out and fixed, the app developers could use those exploits. Just saying…

1 Like

Y’all are now gonna think I’m nuts, but I tried a 1.2mm guitar pick today (for the first time in a long time) and I actually really like it. And I promise I’m not just changing my opinions to get on y’all’s good side :joy: I see what you mean about thick picks. The weird thing is, I tried one a few months ago and hated it. Maybe my technique got better or something.

5 Likes

True. Even if code is open-source, the likelihood that it will be vetted is low. There was actually a piece of malware semi-recently that claimed to be open-source (and there was code online that claimed to be that malware), but the program that was distributed was actually a Trojan virus.

However, I tend to think that if the code is open-source, people will realize the futility of trying to sneak in bad code (although there was an attack on PHP last year).

Hm. I guess it’s possible it was listening, but it also could have been location tracking. In my opinion, the whole thing of “my phone listens to me” is a bit far-fetched: think of the battery that it would take to constantly record and parse audio into words. Even if you simply streamed the audio to an online server for parsing, it would drain both your battery and your mobile data very quickly.

1 Like

See also https://lifehacker.com/just-how-much-does-your-phone-listen-to-sell-you-target-1848495516

1 Like

What is shared in the 02/10/22 article in your link is what I suspect could happen and shared quite a few times with one of people I know, some time ago! Whenever I suspect something, they make it public btw.

But here’s where they all go wrong. The article says this.

" In some cases, though, your phone legitimately does listen to you. Your mic is always on by default, so it can hear you use commands like “Hey Siri” or “OK Google.” While it may not record that data, it always listens, and some apps may use that feature."

How legitimate it is when a phone listens to you but you don’t know it? In other words, you don’t want to be listened to but you are listened anyways - due to carelessness or otherwise really does not matter - means it is not legitimate. You do not need an explicit law to deal with it. Thus this breach becomes someone other than the phone owner/user’s responsibility!

Eventually it is government’s responsibility which I stated sometime ago in this forum. The ballad of Jed Clampet - Banjo - Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

haha… Nope. We’re happy now that you see! :slight_smile:

I would take this use of the word"legitimately" to mean “truly.” That makes it much more plausible of a statement.

2 Likes

Just these two examples Mason, listening to DLQ’s singing and trying a thick pick, should show you not to be so outspoken against something till you’ve TRIED it. There’s a reason everybody loves something most of the time! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

My poor English. That sounds right!

Gunnar you are STILL typing???

1 Like

Easy to throw such accusations out there without backing them up.

I’ve only ever heard of one person doing it, and that was Steve Kaufman.
If you can point to anyone else that gets good tone with one, I will respectfully retract my statement. If you are unable to, then it sounds like maybe my point was true and/or thought out.

Can you please add a quotation on that? Also, for reference, since you did not accept my point that time isn’t everything, your profile claims bluegrass since 2017. How long before that did you play music, and which instrument/s? Because I don’t think anyone that I mentioned has been playing for less than 2.5 years.

Fake news. I can almost guarantee that I’ve put in at least a few hundred more practice hours than you. I don’t know what you mean by “a good while” but if that doesn’t mean “at least 7 hours” then spent more time practicing than you for at least several years.

Again, I don’t know when you started, but considering your age, the windspeed, and rotation of the (flat) earth, I’m going to call this statement a steaming pile of male bovine excrement, if you’ll pardon my french canadian.

Then why didn’t you just say “hey guys, I actually do play with others. All my complaining about my isolation and never jamming was a set of elaborately crafted falsehoods that I am now abandoning since they no longer serve my interest”, instead of just calling people names and making baseless assertions that could have more easily and convincingly been backed up with this fact???
Also, contra dancing is awesome, and I don’t think I would play for one cuz I’d rather be dancing.

To be clear, I did not say you haven’t tried them. In fact, I don’t recall anyone saying you hadn’t tried anything except for actually listening to bluegrass before saying it sucks…

Well, get yourself an expensive microphone and then we’ll judge you through that. Until then, we go on what we have. Any comment you’ve made about my playing has been based on video recorded through the onboard microphone on a cheap android, but you don’t hear me complaining or defending.

No, contrary to popular belief, the forum doesn’t revolve around you. The people on this thread will just as happily bash Michael for being a city boy, Shaky for being Canadian, any Lindblom because of Jake, or me because I’m an idiot. You just so happen to be currently espousing opinions (which you have a right to) that are wrong.
It’s like when they actually allow free speech, they rely on people having common sense to weed out bad ideas, like the idea the DLQ had no good singers.

No, you’ve said that yourself, and we assumed you were telling the truth.

Hey you finally said something we all agree with! :joy:
Ok jk I’ll try to stop being so hard on you…

But you haven’t moved to prove any of them wrong. Also, you’re assuming a lot about our assumptions, which to me is usually a sign of projecting, but I couldn’t make that call based on that alone.

I won’t speak for the others (since I don’t think that highly of myself) but I would say somewhere between Willy Nelson and the price of gas. But I don’t usually let that impair my judgement. If I’m ever proven wrong (Shocking I know, but it does happen occasionally) I always gracefully use some excuse or misdirection to make it seem like I actually was right anyway, and that you were wrong for thinking I actually believed something so wrong. Then you go away feeling like the goober. But that’s just me, and I think Michael is probably similar.

Have you tried giving opinions that are right? E.G. how barns are actually pretty?
But mainly, it’s just when you admit to not knowing what you’re talking about that you think that.
Also, you left all of the stated points about teachability untouched, which probably begs the question, how highly do YOU think of YOURSELF anyway?

This is true, Libby is always civil and friendly except when Michael threatens to disrespect Jake.

Mac Powell is the GOAT and also one of their guitarists, Jason Hoard, is an accomplished bluegrass mandolinist in Nashville.

Please don’t y’all this. I have not expressed an opinion on the BC thumbpick up to this point. And I have so far agreed with you about Bluechip picks, a fact that you seem bent on ignoring because it doesn’t serve your “me vs the world” underdog narrative.

The other Literal GOAT!!

actually, he’s from utah, so it’s more likely that he’s lds…

Yes, If you want to be seen and not heard.

I take back everything I ever said about you!!

This is a phenomenon known as planned obsolescence, and was introduced to recent generations by the General Motors corporation in the early part of the 20th century. It is good for business in the short term, but on a larger scale creates consumer-base issues down the line.
I have heard enough firsthand stories of apple doing it that doubt would seem unreasonable.

That’s a more accurate timeline. I think most items are designed to outlast the extended warranty by about three months.

I’ve actually done this before as a demonstration. I’ll tell someone about something, and the be like, watch this. I open instagram and it’s the first ad. I’ve done this enough to rule out coincidence.

This is probable. I used to hate thick picks, cuz they felt terrible and sounded worse, but then my technique got better (looser pickhold) and I started to love the thicker ones. Now it’s all I use.

I begin my reply at the top of the unreads, and then I respond to things as I read them. So I’m not really typing the whole time, but I am reading the thread with the reply box open.

@LorenDB from what I’ve seen Linux is the libertarian form of OS

4 Likes

What do you mean by libertarian in this case?

1 Like

I did try them, I just decided to try them again :joy:

4 Likes

I did back them up, YOU just didn’t look :upside_down_face::wink:

I started playing guitar in 2014

You know, I actually think the earth might be flat. I don’t believe anything “science” says anymore

I don’t play with others often, or attend bluegrass jams. I forgot about the contra dances haha.

I honestly have a hard time not laughing, I just focus on my instrument.

I love bluegrass! I never said it sucks, I just prefer instrumental bluegrass for the most part.

Sorry, can’t afford it.

:joy::joy::joy:

:ok_hand::ok_hand::muscle::+1:

Well that’s good to know. You took back the hundred million things you’ve said about me.

1 Like

It is flat. I’m completely serious. I’ve believed that for about a decade now. The King James Bible proves it!

4 Likes

Nice! I’m not fully convinced but I don’t trust people who say I came from an ape :joy: There’s also evidence for it.

3 Likes

Watch the video I posted. I’m fully convinced. It’s so, so ridiculous that people believe outer space even exists. I could go on and on. But just watch the video!

3 Likes

I don’t really believe people ever went to the moon either. My brother is a space enthusiast so he gets mad, but I’m very skeptical of all that stuff.

3 Likes