Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

The Official 2020 Camp Song List

So excited. Would love to jam some other tunes with all of you in the eve or in free time. Pretty sure these are standards, but don’t really know as I haven’t been to a bluegrass jam. Ones I love…Old Dangerfield, Big Sciota, Clinch Mountain, Gold Rush, BlackBerry Blossom.
Other suggestions?

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum Mike! I know all those except big sciota, and would love to jam them in the free time. The ten songs listed are just to make sure everyone has some overlapping repertoire, but there’s no rule that you can’t play other tunes

3 Likes

List looks great to me. The basic tunes in Bgrass are always fun to play because so much of the melody comes right out of the chords or nearby notes. Gives great opportunity to improvise a bit (and mistakes don’t show so much) even picking the chords at mid-neck or up the neck. Looking forward to a great time!!!

4 Likes

Yay! The long awaited list. Now I have a perfect excuse to learn songs I want to know but have not got around to learning.
I am very excited about joining the second cabin camp and meeting all of you and of course the man. Ben himself.

6 Likes

Hello Ben,
This will be my first ever instrument camp of any kind and yes I’m a little nervous. I don’t want my lack of flat-picking skills to hamper the progress of the other pickers, however, I am looking forward to meeting everyone and making new friends.

What should I expect in this camp? What does a typical day look like?

God bless,
Chuck R.

6 Likes

You don’t need to worry about that at all, trust me!

I would imagine that the schedule this year will look a bit differently than last year, but here’s the schedule from last year:

Time Thursday Friday Saturday
Rhythm Focus Melody Focus Soloing Focus
Prep Gather String Selection
9:00 AM Group exercise Group exercise
Nashville Number System Nashville Number System
9:30
10:00 AM Morning Review My 5 Favorite Licks
Play 3/4 & 4/4- Use Song Teach the Licks
10:30 Melody Before Solos! Demonstrate the Licks
Determining the Key Alter the Licks
11:00 AM Reducing the Melody Down Groove!
How to Play Melody Straight vs. Swing Feel
11:30 Students Arrive Playing in the Pocket
12:00 PM Lunch/Jam Lunch/Jam Lunch/Jam
1:00 PM Orientation Band Jam/Rehearse Band Jam/Rehearse
1:30
2:00 PM Basic Technique Building Speed Ear Training Exercise
Assessment Economy of motion, picking hand Simple Melody Transposing
2:30 Rhythm Focus Economy of motion, fretting hand “Play what you hear” exercise
Talk Finger Positions, not Ornaments
3:00 PM Strum/Vamp Patterns Unlocking the Neck Improvising
Talking Positions Sing what you Play, Play what you Sing
3:30 How to Count In Find Same Notes in Various Positions Tie In Reducing Melody to Improv
Use Words/Licks/Chops Simple melodies in Various Positions
4:00 PM Changing Chords Capo Theory Plugging In Licks
Using Walks & Passing Chords Use Licks You Have Taught
4:30 Rhythm Licks Left Hand Licks Use Nine Pound Hammer
G Run in 3/4 & 4/4 Hammers/Pulls/Slides/Bends
5:00 PM Put it into Practice Time For Triplets How to Play in a Band
Break into groups Quarter vs. Eighth Triplets Listening
5:30 Band Rehearsal Demonstrate them in Rhythm/Licks Dynamics
Filling in the Holes
6:00 PM Break for Supper Break for Supper Break for Supper
6:30 Supper Supper Supper
7:00 PM
8:00 PM Night Topic: Jam Etiquette Night Topic: Working a Microphone Student Concert
9:00 PM Shut 'er Down Shut 'er Down Fire 'er Up
7 Likes

So excited and nervous at the same time! Pretty sure I won’t have all of these down pat but am looking forward to meeting the rest of the group and of course Ben and his team! The countdown has begun!

2 Likes

Just be able to play the chords and, if possible, pick out simple melodies. It’s gonna be FUN, I promise you! No pressure at all!

5 Likes

Guys, trust me. In no time at all you’ll feel like part of the family. Nothing to be nervous about. It’s a no pressure zone. We all screwed up plenty. I may have even heard Ben pick a clunker once. :astonished:

The atmosphere that Ben and his family provide puts everyone right at home. You’re going to have a blast!

8 Likes

No! Never! Tell us more @Mark_Rocka

3 Likes

I attended in March with guitar. I was basically a beginner. As mentioned above, I learned the chords to the songs and could pick basic breaks on two or three. The camp is a learning environment. It is not an audition. You are going to have a good time.

7 Likes

SO looking forward to this. And grateful to get early access as a 2019 alum! Evidently lots of other alum are coming, too; excited (but not surprised) to see all of the familiar faces!

Brought my guitar last time, but bringing my banjo this time! (I may bring my guitar, too, but will be in the banjo group.) Can. Not. Wait.

5 Likes

Well, you can’t be any more nervous than me. If you’ve been around on the forum for the last year, you would have seen that mentioned by me and you would have seen a goodly amount of ribbing from others about it, so…

And no level of encouragement from others is going to make it any better, I get that, believe me. And you and I won’t be the only ones. Just do it anyway. I’m gonna.

3 Likes

4 Likes

Mark and Ben,
Hope all is well. I have printed the list of all the tunes to work on. I have never really worked on any lessons beyond the basic banjo sections of the website since joining it. With that in mind, How would you recommend me to prepare or focus on certain tunes verses others. I want to get the most out of the camp while being my best for the camp. thanks . Tucker

2 Likes

Hey James! Welcome to the board!

These songs were chosen so that everyone showing up will have a base line to work from. My recommendation is to save Ben’s MP3 files of him playing each of these lessons at full speed for the instrument you’ll be playing at camp, then listen to Ben playing them over and over so that you learn exactly what your playing is supposed to sound like. Once you feel you really KNOW the song in your mind, move on to learning the chords of each song. Once you’ve mastered that, start working on the lead parts.

At camp, each night after the lesson activities, we’ll split into 3 groups, beginners, intermediates, and experts. Each group gathers and just plays a free for all. If you know the chords, you can literally sit in with any of those groups. Nothing says you HAVE to take a lead. I actually grabbed an upright bass and went between all of the groups just admiring the talent that was all around me.

I will say this, though… Ben lead the beginners group, and he worked pretty hard on getting everyone to at least attempt a lead. The great thing about that, though, is that we were all making mistakes, so there really wasn’t any pressure to be perfect.

Looking forward to meeting you in person.

6 Likes

Thanks Man,
I look forward to the camp and meeting every one. Thanks for getting back with me with all the pointers…appreciate you. J. Tucker

3 Likes

“This year I will take a break…I will take a break…I will take a break…” (I say’s to myself) :blush:

6 Likes

Hi all. Very excited (and nervous) about camp. I am working on my travel arrangements. I am attending the 4/2-4/4 camp. It looks like we start around noon on 4/2. What time will we wrap up on 4/4?

5 Likes

Hey Bill! Welcome to the board!

Trust me. There’s nothing to be nervous about. Ben and his whole family and crew do an amazing job of making everyone feel right at home. We’re all encouraged to make mistakes, and I made enough for me and several other people.

The last day, there’s no cut off time. We go until we’re done, which I think was around 10pm last year. It was the funnest night of the camp. Everyone eating good food, performing, laughing with each other, and just having a great time.

I don’t think anyone left without a smile on their face, ready to come back again. Looking forward to seeing you there!

5 Likes