Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

“Standard” jamming songs

@Michael_Mark Glad to see that Russell Moore and IIIrd Tyme Out made the list.

2 Likes

You can turn off my cable tv, netflix, hulu … all that stuff, but I am not give up Spotify. I just discovered in the past couple of years I liked Old Time and Bluegrass music so Spotify has made it possible to learn about a whole lot of songs and artists really quickly. It’s very helpful to have 37 different versions of “Red Hair Boy” available ten seconds after the first time you heard of the song.

2 Likes

Oh, I know the service itself is awesome. I personally don’t subscribe because of how dismally they treat artists and songwriters. I choose to support services that pay them better, that’s all. It’s personal preference.

5 Likes

I don’t know how all that works. I’m all in favor of supporting the artist, but which service does that? I got to talk with Amanda Smith at a Bluegrass festival in Dallas last month and she said the same thing about not making much from Spotify.

1 Like

Best to actually order a band’s record from their website. If you don’t play CDs, tip them $20 when you attend a concert. Buy a t-shirt/hat, etc, something tangible if you can.

Regarding streaming, satellite radio (Sirius/XM) is the best (if they get played there). Beyond that Apple tends to take care of artists better than others although Spotify was forced to begin paying more royalties through a ruling earlier this year.

Believe me, I’m not preaching and I’m fine with folks using whatever service they want as long as they don’t steal.

9 Likes

This is how I roll!
I will also tip on small live streams from time to time when I can.

3 Likes

I like Apple Music - it’s the only streaming service I pay for. I’ve always liked it way better than Spotify.

As a band, we get a fairly regular payment from all the streaming platforms combined (using CD Baby) although it’s never that much. When people buy our CDs that’s definitely the most appreciated. You can usually buy a digital download from a band’s website too.

4 Likes

I’ve had good results with Spotify’s recommendations. I think that’s one thing they do better than other services and for me, it has a lot of value as a discovery tool. I absolutely hate that the situation of how little artists get paid exists the way it does. However I do get a TON of use out of a streaming service and I wouldn’t listen to half as much music if I only bought CDs and put them individually on my phone/computer.

I think I’ll try to follow Ben’s suggestions more of supporting through merch etc. I also think it’s awesome when artists release new albums on vinyl and I would love to buy LPs from some of my favorite bands. CDs just don’t have anywhere near the same appeal. I think they’re kind of in that place between digital appeal and physical appeal that ends up in them being blah for most folks. I’m interested in others’ thoughts.

Apple Music suggests music too and shows new releases I would like. It’s a great discovery tool. I guess they probably all do the same things.

2 Likes

If I hear a band that I really like that I want to support I’ll buy a hat or T-shirt before I buy a CD but that’s mainly because I have Apple Music. Although I really appreciate when people buy CDs from us! Definitely the best way to support a band

4 Likes

Well, I went to my first bluegrass jam tonight in over 35 years. You know what’s cool? A ton of the things I’ve learned from Ben’s lessons kicked right in. I even took breaks on songs I’ve never heard before, all along thinking of ol’ Tex Critter. One of them was even in D, so I capoed on the 2nd fret and played in a closed C position… and to say it again… on a song I’d never played before! That’s a big deal for me.

It was a really cool experience. Thanks @BanjoBen! Couldn’t have done it without you.

16 Likes

Gonna use this as a testimonial if I can have your permission. Yes, you say? Ok, thanks!

11 Likes

I’ll bet you wanna go again now don’t cha?? Thats happening to me too! Great fun!!

2 Likes

That is so cool! I’ve had a similar experience. And it’s why I’m grateful Ben teaches us to “play the banjo” rather than get merely good at reading tabs.*

*This comment is the sole property of the poster and may not be used in testimonials, written or electronic, without the express written consent of the poster. :wink:

3 Likes

Man, I’m already looking forward to next week. It’s a weekly jam, and the folks there are super friendly. Tons of fun!

4 Likes

Hey @Michael_Mark, just wanted to let you know I’ve really been enjoying this Spotify list you made. I’ve been to 2 local jams since Ben’s October camp and a lot of these songs have been played there.

Thanks for putting it together!

4 Likes

Awesome! Glad you’re enjoying it :+1::+1:

3 Likes

I like the new profile photo @Michael_Mark 2ThumbsUp

6 Likes