Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Spring 2022 Cabin Camp Song List!

Use any chord shape you want! Looking forward to having you!

1 Like

On the road tomorrow, at the farm the next day! Gig em!

3 Likes

I have a challenge for all the April mandolin/guitar/banjo players going to Cabin Camp in a few weeks (April 2022). (As a reference I would consider myself an advanced beginner so this isn’t coming from a music teacher or secret agent planted by Ben.) Here’s my idea: EDITED FOR CLARIFICATION: Let’s put the chord progression for the 5 songs we were “assigned” on individual slips of paper using the Nashville Numbering System and practice without the tab. I’ve decided to to this this week to get smarter about the NNS as I work on the chord changing when playing rhythm……who doesn’t need a new challenge? I look at this as a way to get away from tab to follow the chord progression. This could also help us during jams at camp as I suspect we are not gonna spend 2 1/2 days playing the same 5 songs and we can learn some new stuff. It will also help us develop our ability to play by ear as Ben has emphasized during his Jam Along videos and the most recent “Don’t Stress about Camp” video he put out. Finally, won’t Ben be impressed when he does his lesson about the NNS and we already know a bunch about it? Psst: Don’t tell him we’re doing this, either! (Oh wait, he probably reads the forum….nuts). Ah well, just an idea. Have a great day, everyone. (Only 21 days, 5 hours and 37 minutes to camp…but who’s counting?)

8 Likes

HI ScubaNut 2014, Count me in, I am new to the Mandolin and up till now very dependent on playing with Banjo Ben’s great Tabs but find playing without them pretty difficult. Writing down the chords of all the songs using the NNS and then trying to play the songs using that without the Tabs may help me break my dependence on playing by Tab only and help me towards getting ready for Ben’s ultimate goal of helping us to learn and play by ear which for me is something I need to get better at. I will be at the Nashville Camp too and am getting really excited. I am breaking out the paper now. Thanks for the great idea.

4 Likes

Hi! Thanks for the feedback. I actually had inspiration for that over breakfast this morning and glad at least one person likes it. I have played mandolin for 30 something years (very poorly, only a few songs, no double stops, no chops, etc.) but have only gotten serious about it during the last 9-12 months. I am looking forward to trying my own success with the Nashville Numbering System and look forward to seeing how others at the camp are doing with it. Let me know how it goes and I look forward to meeting you at camp…let’s get some jammin’ in!

2 Likes

Not sure if you’ve seen my post about a precamp Jam at my hotel. Look for the thread and c’mon over!