Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

So I was talking with Ricky Skaggs & Russ Carson last night and

hehe yeah maggie. im fairly new to bluegrass. listen to hardrock all the register to deathmetal all my life.
and on all the concerts ive been to, ive never been closer to them than 30 meters at best.
so it was odd to stand face to face :smiley:

Most definitely yes you did. Andy Leftwich, Dan Tyminski, Pete Wernick, Jim Mills, oh and there’s another Jake we all know and love… and Robbie…

It is a wonderful thing when well recognized performers are kind to their customers. My mother in law met Pete Seeger once after a show. He showed her a strum pattern. It made a huge and lasting impression. I have probably heard that story a dozen times, and I hope to hear it dozens more. The simplest act of kindness can mean the world to others.

3 Likes

Aww, man! I knew those names! I should have at least gotten Dan Tyminski. I had been debating with myself whether it was Jake Stogdill, or Jake Sturgel (I think I spelled it right, he used to play with Sierra) when I realized it was Workman. @Mike_R, it seems to be part of the bluegrass culture to have such nice people as famous musicians. That was probably the weirdest way I could have phrased that… anyway, it seems like bluegrass musicians are mostly really nice folks, who don’t seem haughty or egocentric, and seem to really care about others, about their audience, and about getting people into the music

1 Like

Yeah, I love Dan’s work and he and his band will be in concert at The Caverns a couple hours from Nashville after Ben’s camp. But, I’ll be seeing Molly Tuttle in Tallahassee the day before and it was just too tight a schedule drive back up there, then back home to Florida. It’s a two week road trip for me which includes some extra time in Nashville.

I’m not sure who Jake Sturgel is. There’s Justin Moses who plays with Sierra a lot and he plays just about any instrument, very versatile and talented guy.

Just FYI, on March 1, I’m seeing Sierra Hull here in Clearwater, FL and on the way up to Ben’s camp, I’m stopping at the Suwannee Spring Reunion 4 day music festival with Steep Canyon Rangers, Peter Rowan, Billy Strings and gobs more. Tickets to see many of our favorite, artists are very reasonable at $30 - $50 so check their tour schedules frequently and support their music.

1 Like

Justin and Sierra are married, which is part of why they play together a lot. Jake Sturgel (or something like that) I think was the guitarist for highway 111, which was Sierra’s band. I wish I could see some live bluegrass, but every last penny I earn is going into my mandolin fund (looking at a km 150) and my parents don’t want to drive me even to Houston, so I definitely couldn’t reach an out of state concert. I did attend a local charity concert by the Davis’ and the Sabine river bend band, which was bluegrass gospel, and afterwards I got to play the Sabine banjoist’s banjo, which was a '99 Gibson Earl Scruggs signature and that was NICE! anyway, am I off topic? Sorry. I wish some bluegrass folks would come to Africa, and start an appreciation down there

They’re married? See, I learn something new every day. I’ll see if I can find something on this Jake guy. And I totally forgot you’re in Africa. Yeah I guess it would be difficult for you to get to some of these concerts. :grin:

Yep! I’m currently in Beaumont TX, but there’s not much bluegrass scene here (read none) and I don’t have a DL so I can’t travel to where there is one

@Dragonslayer Welcome to the S. Texas area. Im in San Antonio, which is approx 5hrs west of Beaumont. There isnt really much of a Bluegrass scene here either, which really sux. When i was living in Cali, they didnt have one either, now that i live here they have festivals and all sorts of bluegrass things going on…go figrure…:roll_eyes:

1 Like

Well yeah, not having the DL sucks. How far away are from that?

How far from having a DL? A loooooong time. Even though I’m sixteen, I haven’t been able to get a permit because I live in Africa, and I wanted to get one while we were here, but my parents didn’t want to pay for drivers ed when there was “no point” since I wouldn’t have time to get a full license.

1 Like