Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Slide Banjo!?

So I was cleaning up our workbench the other day and I spotted a large hex wrench adapter (or whatever it’s called) and I thought “that might work as a slide!” so I started using it to play slide guitar. Today I decided to try it on banjo. This is what I came up with. Has anyone else tried this? I used my thumb to fret on the 7th chords.

8 Likes

Do Orange Blossom Special!

3 Likes

Oh Yeah! That’s totally next! :+1:

3 Likes

Nice job!!

2 Likes

Cool! I used to do this a lot before I made a “dobro” (guitar conversion) but I never fretted also, I only used the slide

2 Likes

Sounds cool Harrison

3 Likes

OK, my first reaction is :roll_eyes:

Then, I think, OK that’s gonna be a thing now. Please don’t let @Dragonslayer see that.

Of course you did that Harrison, how could you not? I’m so glad you’re here :slight_smile: I appreciate ya.

5 Likes

I’m not sure if the Bluegrass Police would approve, but I’ll let it “slide” (See what I did there?) :rofl: :sweat_smile:

Ok, ok, lame joke…

3 Likes

I hear sirens…

4 Likes

:roll_eyes::wink:
In my defence, I would play dobro but I don’t have one don’t think I’ll be able to afford one any time soon… (but a conversion like what Gunnar did might be in the works)

3 Likes

That’s cool! Keep at it. I’d like to see what else you come up with.

4 Likes

Maybe you’d be interested in a cheaper alternative… like a DIY lap steel made from a 2x4?

If you build it, and then play it, and then get famous and then make a CMA MOTY acceptance speech, just remember The Olde Guy From Florida™. I mean, if you can turn a hub cap into an accepted IBMA category, then surely the CMA is good with a 2x4. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I have looked into that in the past. I might try something like that after I finish the dulcimer.

1 Like

Or you could flip the dulcimer over and build you a lap steel on the other side. That could be pretty cool!

2 Likes

:+1::+1::+1::sunglasses:

2 Likes