Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Sing and play banjo at the same time

Nice pipes @JohnnyD I still struggle to sing I play banjo.

1 Like

Good on you for practicing this. Humming may be a useful micro-step before actually singing. You’re on the cusp of something great here. Keep it going.

1 Like

Been there done & I feel your pain.
Depending on the circumstances, you might consider doing what Earl did quite a bit- stop playing while singing. I’ve seen this in a bunch of Flatt & Scruggs videos.

However, if you’re doing a solo act I would defer to anything Ben has to say about it.
Or pretend you’re a guitar player & just pinch the chords & leave the good stuff for when it’s your turn for a solo or somebody else is singing.
I hope you enjoy your many hours of frustration!:grin:

EDIT: Lordy! I just noticed how old this topic was! I had just become a Gold Pick member, so no wonder I didn’t read it back then. It was way above me!
Now it’s just a little bit beyond my reach.

2 Likes

@BanJoe the post was resurrected by @JohnnyD with his video submission

1 Like

This is very difficult and the payoff for this practice/grind is beyond what you’re expecting. This will help not only with singing/playing but also just playing and being able to “multi-task” as you go.

4 Likes

@BanjoBen I had no idea… trying to balance tone, tempo, right hand placement (it keeps wanting to move towards the bridge), pitch (its erratic I know) and lyrics!

Tagging @Simone since she asked about the progress.

7 Likes

Good progress! I would love to hear you try this with a really loud metronome click going about half the speed you are now…try it.

2 Likes

You’re making nice progress @JohnnyD ! Great job! I know what you mean trying to get those things down at the same time, but on the mando. I’m not much of a singer, but I’d still like to be able to sing & play if wanted to. I’ve been on the fence about posting my singing playing attempt video(s), but since you have posted yours (glad you did!) I’m gonna put mine up too :grimacing: , it’ll be over on the “practice video thread”…

2 Likes