Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Rk or Gold Tone?

Does anyone know the difference between the RK76 or 75 and The OB3? What’s better for sound? THey are about the same price

1 Like

I’d call the General Store and ask Adam, Jake or Ben. I bet they have done that exact side by side comparison.

2 Likes

Don’t know much about the RK except they are a great sounding Banjo. I own an OB3 Twanger and it holds it’s own next to my Stelling Master Flower.

2 Likes

ok thanks guys

That’s not bad for less than half the price.

1 Like

They’re both great banjos. I’m partial to the OB3 myself, but I admit to being a bit biased.

Honestly, it’s going to require a side by side comparison of individual specimens. One of the benefits of buying from Ben is that you get the quality control that Jake and his team bring to the table. Let’s be honest. China isn’t known for reliably pumping out top quality stuff.

I’d have Adam get his hands on what’s available in the store and have him give you his opinion.

3 Likes

Nuff said :joy: I’m loving mine @Shaky_loves_banjo

2 Likes

I have a RK76 and a Twanger. I’m partial to the OB3 Twanger. The RK76 is tops on fit and finish but lacks some in tone. The neck is a little more comfortable to play but loses a little crispness up the neck.

Twanger#31 is a monster. It is loud and crisp all the way up the neck. It has a mysterious light buzz in the 4th string when playing at the 5, 6, and 7th frets if I get to picking too hard. The fret length it a bit shorter than the RK. I don’t think that matters one way or the other.

They are both good instruments and would serve anyone well. I would have been blessed to have had a banjo as nice as either when I was learning.

Good luck on your decision.

4 Likes

Thanks all!

Both are great banjos. It’s a bit hard to explain the differences, but I’d say the Twanger is a bit drier and less “ringy” if that makes sense. It seems that makes the Twanger mic really well. I haven’t played the RK-Elites in as many situations where I was playing into a mic or recording, so I can’t say that they don’t mic just as well, though. The scale length on the Twanger is the same as the RK-R35s and RK-R36s while the RK-Elites have a bit longer scale length. This tends to give the Elites a “punchy” sound because of the higher string tension. I generally like the lower string tension as it sometimes sounds less strained or restricted to me, generally speaking. The Twanger, has the good “punchy” sound, but to me probably doesn’t sound as strained or restricted as I sometimes hear in the Elites. Again, I’m speaking generally and not saying that any of those things is necessarily better, just different. Personal preference is the big thing here. There are good videos of the Twanger our there, and I recently did a video on the store’s Facebook page with an RK-Elite-76, playing “Home Sweet Home” in D-tuning.

4 Likes

To paraphrase what Adam said: “Buy one of each!” :grin:

Seriously, good thoughts Adam. It helpful to hear someone who has played them back to back.

2 Likes