Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Right Hand... Ring Finger Anchor

This may bean “old bit” worn-out discussion topic… but…

Should I be concerned that I don’t anchor my ring finger with my pinkey? We probably all know that the great, late Earl was definitive on this point… but many strong modern players don’t.

I am interested in Ben’s thoughts principally- but always welcome others “wisdom”… banter… and feedback.

As one who struggles to plant it, should I re-dedicate to correct now… just under 2 years intomyplaying?

I don’t know any pickers that anchor their ring finger, and I know a lot of fantastic players.

I’d say if it doesn’t feel right to you, don’t do it.

You know one now, although it’s not on the head constantly, sometimes I rest just the pinky, sometimes just the ring, but mostly both are in contact with the head.

Do not, I repeat, do not fret if you don’t anchor it. Try it for 30 minutes. If it feels better and seems to help your playing, then switch. Otherwise, no.

2 Likes

Same Here Archie, and I’m usually not aware of which one I’m anchoring with. I believe (if I remember right), that I noticed just a small spot of wear on your head, which I would guess means you’re quite consistent on how you’re anchoring. :+1:

Correction Archie, not HOW you’re anchoring, but that are very consistent in the fact that you are anchoring.

One last feeble attempt here. I believe I noticed your banjo head has a very small spot from anchoring, which to me says that you are very consistent in your anchoring be it with you pinky or your ring. Man! I do get scatter brained! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Sounds about right: :sunglasses:

That I’m Scatterbrained? Agreed. :rofl:

I have such a spot from my pinky. All in all, I understand that 2 reference points should - in theory, make the 3 fingers find their strings easier… but well, I appreciate Ben’s input… and perspective.

The head marking isn’t everything. You’ll notice that none of my banjos have it because of the finish type.

1 Like

I didn’t say I agreed with that description, none the less if the :cowboy_hat_face: makes you comfortable I run with that

No Sir, I agree… only to suggest that well… my pinkey does anchor it seems… in a SOMEWHAAT repeatable position… since the mark formed so quickly.

I don’t know about the skins and the quality or grade. Seems mine was starting to mark quickly. This may be morphing into a new topic: Banjo Head.

Are they pretty generic or do they have better or “cheaper” ones? Should they be replaced? Do the greatly affect sound?

My Banjo was inexpensive- Epiphone MB-100 Hallowback but the head does say Remo.

I like the way Ben put it in the “Pick Hand Anchor Techniques” video

“We are all made a little differently. The good Lord fashioned us together a little bit differently and some peoples fingers work a little bit differently than other people’s fingers…” etc

Great video that helped me tremendously.

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/banjo-hand-positions-banjo/video/pick-hand-anchor-techniques

2 Likes

Quite often, I find self deprecating humor a comfort. :grin:

2 Likes

I was just about to ask this exact question. Did a little searching and found my answer. I don’t want to pick up any bad habits. Thanks

Me too…

Oh wait… that was a silly, corny thing to say! :rofl:

1 Like