Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Resting Hand while Flatpicking

Ya’ll check out Carl Miner’s video here, This was key to success for me. I watched this video over and over again and always seem to pick something new out of it. In this vid, he talks a lot about the wrist/hand movement and technique that is great for fast smooth playing. Although this technique is not really for record breaking speed playing, Carl still uses it to play faster and cleaner than I probably ever will. And, although the demo’s in this video are not Rawhide at 200bpm, it’s still pretty good and a solid base for someone to use as a regular technique. Besides, once you want to play really fast, you can always switch to the free floating Jake Workman style. I have found that in my case, Anchoring the pinkie like Carl does give me a much better all around sound then the freehand does at most tempos. I’d still like to master the freehand so I have the backup option for super fast playing but just haven’t got there yet.
3 Likes

It is funny how so many are saying the planting opened up their sound. I used to drop my fingers and I was so tense and had a muffled sound. Everything changed for the better - tone, speed, and clarity - when I closed up my right hand fingers and started floating. But it’s not easy to get accuracy at first so you have to not give up.

I’d say it took me about 8 months to start feeling completely comfortable with the new technique. And that’s practicing every day! Yes… I’m slow :joy:

8 Likes

In my opinion the floating style isn’t really just for playing at fast tempos especially since it’s harder than it sounds to get used to and practice with at first. After a lot of practice you will feel most comfortable sticking with one position rather than changing with the various speed you are playing at. Changing positions while playing just invites tension and the opportunity to throw your pick!

7 Likes

See… I’m the other way. I tense up when my hand is in that fist. The main thing I lack while floating is not accuracy, but volume. I can strum loudly, because I’m just powering through a bunch of strings. But I have a foundation and more strength if I touch the guitar top.

6 Likes

Welcome here, Jason!

I think you can’t go wrong with Bryan Sutton technique. Looks relaxed, floating and freely flowing. Pick holding technique is also equally important. But when I play my hand touches or brushes or slightly rests. One thing for sure, it takes time to pick up speed.

4 Likes

It is the same motion picking and strumming the way Jake teaches it… the way I try. Same ratio of arm and wrist movement, just closing in the fingers more, but digging into the strings rather than picking out or up. Of course not resting your hand on the bridge, but lightly brushing across the bridge pins

4 Likes

So i am not really saying you conciously switch techniques when you speed up, but it just sort of happens. I know a guy that would normaly plant his pinkie but when he speeds up, his fingers curl up into a free float without him even thinking about it. That’s what i mean about switching. It’s not a fucused thing your trying to do, just something that happens.

3 Likes

I bet Jason wishes he hadn’t asked. :joy:

8 Likes

Friendly, well-meaning person asks honest question

stubborn bluegrass musicians get into a passive-aggressive debate over picking technique

7 Likes

It could have been worse. He could have asked the banjo players on here a question.

5 Likes

Technically, he did since most of us on this thread are… only we argued about who plays more like Tony, instead of Earl. :rofl:

7 Likes

I appreciate each and everyone reply! I have gathered a lot from your replies and I’m going to practice new habits!

7 Likes