Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Recording Silent Night

I’m learning quite a bit with this Ableton software. I was listening to my bass part, in isolated mode, and I saw that it clipped on a couple of measures.

Should I try to use compression to squeeze it down a little, or should I just let it go?

As always, any input is appreciated.

Thank You,

Jack

If, by “dip” you mean fell behind the beat a little, it just depends on how bad it is. If it’s only slightly in a couple of places, you might want to see if you can quantize those areas and see if your software can bring it in to proper time.

Actually the light went from Green to red very briefly, and I think the compressor in Ableton can squeeze it down so it doesn’t clip.

Quantization is way off, but I’m having a blast doing this.

1 Like

When that track is clipping in a few spots at the selected playback level, you can approach it a few ways 1) Like you said, use a compressor 2) Move the level for the entire track down a smidge or 3) Change the volume of the track just for the problem areas. It all depends on what you want, but I lean to #3 in many cases.

FWIW, I used to turn quantization off on Ableton. It did things I did not appreciate.

Glad you are having fun!

Hahaha! My eyes are getting old. I saw “cl” as a “d” which is why I replied the way I did. Sorry about that. :joy:

1 Like

That’s pretty funny :grinning:

2 Likes

Well, I’m just a bit shy of 60, so you ought to see how often I do that kind of stuff. :smirk:

We need a “Doh”!"
emoticon.

Jack

1 Like

Yeah, I agree third choice is best. At this point, I could really end up in the weeds if I try messing with compression…Thank you.