Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Presentation Trouble

It’s true what @Lone_Wolf Emilie say’s When you think back to the making of Gone with the wind. Have ever paused to think how many times the Director called Action and Cut. and how much film ended up on the cutting room floor.

2 Likes

That there was the best breakdown and advice!:slightly_smiling_face: If you don’t put yourself in that kinda uncomfortable place you will always feel uncomfortable:sunglasses: as a youngster I was always on stage ( in my own head) and was great, but as soon as I got in front of people ! DISASTER! It took me many years and a couple of very good friends to push me when I got on stage or in front of people, They taught me and told me to play it like you belong there mistakes and all. I am new to the Banjo and am now experiencing the fumble fingers all over again. But it’s cool I’m no Scruggs and I know it. So just have fun and don’t quit your day job just yet.

5 Likes

Thanks @jon1,

Honestly, it has helped me… As I am not yet to a point to really jam with anyone else.

On occassion, I have informally played with others and really got over that intimidated feeling pretty quickly from doing that “practice in public” thing.

There is nothing better than just enjoying a warm day with practicing and playing. No expectation except a good practice session.

3 Likes

Copy that! I think we all put those high expectations on ourselves and when we fumble a bit it messes with our self confidence. Once we train our mind to get over it and it’s not the end of the world it get’s better. So don’t sweat the small stuff and remember your havin fun rite!

4 Likes

And… I think that is when you play more relaxed and better @jon1.

3 Likes

Nothing I can really add these fine comments. Just wanted to say it happens to most of us. I can’t tell you how many recordings I delete before I finally get one that looks and sounds half way decent. I’m convinced the camera’s record button is directly attached to my nerves. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Well, 'cept for @Mark_Rocka’s Eefin Contest winner.

That was OTD: One-Take Dealio… perfect the very 1st time, right Marky-Mark and Mark?

3 Likes

Oh, uuuummmm, yeah… offffff course I got that all in one take. I mean, the first take is always the funniest, right? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

I’ll have to agree with what everyone has said on this topic. I mean, in reality, I am probably the best banjo player in the history of banjos. but for some strange reason, when folks are listening or the camera is rolling, I just sound like a darn beginner. I can’t for the life of me figure it out. :confused:

5 Likes

What a classic response @Grinnin - CLASSIC! :banjo: :smirk:

5 Likes

I’ll Second That!:mask: I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!

3 Likes

Yep! Turn a camera on (or worse, a metronome) and suddenly I haven’t a clue what I’m doing or why I seem to think I’m a musician. It does get better though. Whenever I first started filming I would delete probably about 50 videos for every decent take I would get. But I have gotten more used to it and usually get it within a couple tries. Now when someone else videos me without my prior knowledge, as soon as I see them filming my playing falls apart like the Arsenal’s defense…

3 Likes

Lol, I know what ya mean! We played at a church event (before the covid lockdown) & folks started pulling out phones & recording & I was like ut-oh! So my advice is dont look at them… look just past them, kinda like over their heads, but just a little so you dont look too goofy & spacey, ofc all the while with a slight smile on yer face…

4 Likes

@Hillbilly_picker I just recorded a video you should watch here: Learning to Let Go & Relax While Playing

3 Likes