Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Once in a blue moon

Protect the left eye too!

3 Likes

Your eyes adjust to the dark by opening up your pupils. So basically you have a wide open aperture when your eyes are suddenly exposed to the sun’s radiation again. Depending on your environment, that radiation can be attenuated by the atmosphere (high humidity will absorb some radiation for example). So the risk can vary. The frequencies of solar radiation, by the way, are at their maximum through the spectrum that is visible light—so I like to think God knew a bit about radiation Himself. :grinning:

2 Likes

If you care, here’s a quick read on eclipse blindness.
https://www.livescience.com/59663-how-solar-eclipses-make-people-go-blind.html

I must be a gullible fool. I always wear a seat belt in a car, yet I’ve never had an accident. I don’t know why I believed that stuff my parents told me about driving being dangerous.

Of course, blind people make better musicians.

6 Likes

I don’t believe experts so much, more so lately, you know the news with masks/protection, right?!!! But I think it is a commonsense thing that staring at the sun directly for more than a few seconds is not good for eyes. Because God’s design is, when bright light flashes, eye lid closes by itself for not without a reason. When you stare at sun, you’re doing it resisting against the natural reaction. I have never used sunglasses so I thought those might help. But now I realize those are to avoid sun glare rather than for viewing the sun. And that you need more opaque protection for viewing the sun. I have no qualms about it.

But at the same time, we have to be cautious like @Bhive said with cheaper, or maybe even with expensive ones (??), or why even with approved ones (??), for eclipse viewing. :wink:

No problem!

1 Like

It was so cool when the sun wore the glasses fully on! :dark_sunglasses: The only moment you could see with naked eyes! Beautiful… just before and just after… like a ring with a diamond on it!

1 Like

We had some very light but moving clouds during the 2 and half minutes of totality. The clouds didn’t block the “glowing black disc in the sky” but it made it look like the sun was moving (really the clouds). It was almost like an optical illusion because I know the sun was not moving but my eyes and brain couldn’t work that out.

2 Likes

We in Ohio had clear skies! We did not experience darkness (due to clouds??) like probably Texas did?? But it was full eclipse!

1 Like

It was pretty cloudy up until about 5 minutes until totality where I am in Tyler, TX. We got a good view from then until the end of the eclipse. It’s the only total eclipse I can remember ever seeing.

2 Likes

I didn’t see a thing - Coz I waz sleepin gif

2 Likes

Turns out all the glasses I bought were ISO certified and no loss of vision has been reported by any family member. We were able to gather our 4 out of 5 members of our family at my son’s place in Grapevine, Texas so it was a great weekend. (My missing daughter lives in NY, so she was our representive for the NYC earthquake so we had representation at all major US natural events this week.) I also got to go to the Bluegrass Heritige Festival in Dallas and jammed with The Purple Hulls, Amanda Smith, Tennessee Bluegrass Band. Great weekend!

Here’s my pic of the eclipse.

black

5 Likes

That’s good. :+1: Yeah it goes dark at full when through eclipse glasses.

Here’s my direct view/shot at the sun during the total eclipse in my cell phone!
TotalEclipsePic

Cool, isn’t it?!!
I have seen that and see now! :joy: (…for the LORD shall be thy everlasting light! Isaiah 6:20)

Partial via eclipse glasses…
PartialEclipsePicCell

I hear that it (total and not partial) is a once a lifetime event. You may not see it again unless you get to live another 100 years!

1 Like

Not even in your dreams?? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Fraid not @JohnM when I am out. I’m out

2 Likes

Me too… Sound sleep is a blessing! :+1:

1 Like

6 Likes

Man, DMV vision test was lot better. It was blurred or dimmed initially then it all looked clear after brightness increased, by itself or not, I don’t know.

Spoiler Alert

OK let me take a stab … “Hospitals around the US were inundated…”. :slight_smile:

I’m sure people across the pond would also have tough time reading!

In another news, Orange Ohio gave out 1500 free eclipse glasses but they didn’t work! All that the people could see was total darkness, lol. People vision intact!