Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Newbie question - how to practice efficiently

I’m out of town for a week and I have a trailer load of folks helping out newbees. THANK YOU to the best forum members anywhere! Keep pickin, @mike.thomson!

7 Likes

Don’t wear yourself out too much though! :wink:

3 Likes

Appreciate everyone’s input and encouragement!

I’m still not sure if I’m progressing as quickly as the “average” student, but I do know I’m enjoying the heck out of it. Sure, there’s frustrations, lots of 'em, but being able to recognize that I’m just a tiny bit better than a few days ago, or a week ago, is such a good feeling.

Not sure if I’ve said this before, but I almost didn’t buy a banjo until I found this site and @BanjoBen 's lessons. After watching the free ones, I knew I could learn to play banjo even remotely with the coursework Ben has created. Thank you @BanjoBen, it’s been a lifelong dream come true to learn an instrument, and I’m thrilled to be on the journey with all of you!

6 Likes

Wow, thank YOU for those kind words and keep workin’!

3 Likes

I am always hip deep in , banjo’s , mandolins and guitars when I go down the crossroads seems a busy place!

2 Likes

But what is average Mike, in the race to perfection there is no finishing line.

Many of the recent forum posts have been around these subjects -dive in!

2 Likes

Agreed! I’m happy now with my progress, and I know tomorrow I’ll be better than today, because of today’s practice.

3 Likes

Rather than start a new thread, I’ll just add to this one…

Today was a momentous day for me. I played straight through - along with the accompaniment - the forward rolls song “Boil dem cabbage down” at 110 BPM. Actually did it more than once, and even found that I can play a little faster than 110 BPM accurately, but not 120 BPM.

Best part, I had to slow myself down a hair to keep time. Boy that felt good!!

11 Likes

WAY TO GO!!! That’s awesome!

3 Likes

Yes! Ain’t it great?

2 Likes

That’s AWESOME @mike.thomson!! Starting to be fun, ain’t it???

2 Likes

Ya know, I think my marriage may be in trouble… My wife has started hating… me having fun, lol.

2 Likes

Hi everybody on this subject!!

I am always looking for better ways to practice and I have been playing my instruments for years. However in those years many life issues happened (graduation, marriage, babies, various jobs, illness, etc) and those events hindered my playing or I had to adjust to what was going on and not play as much. IT IS A JOURNEY, not an arrival!!! Heck, I would love to play half as good as Ben. I have to accept myself and where I am at in the process.

I thank all of you for your input on how to practice efficiently and I am going to apply your ideas.

DLS

3 Likes