Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

My 2020 Mandolin Project

Nice job! Your picking is definitely improving, I saw a few times where you picked it backwards, but for the most part it looked pretty good! I would recommend taking a tune that’s all 1/8 notes, and just practicing it a lot, because it’ll be a little easier than if you add quarters. Keep at it, you’re sounding good!

5 Likes

Agree on that one! I’ll be doing alright, then it goes south quickly when its mixed…

4 Likes

Running behind on the project. A quick hack at Billy In The Lowground. I bought a banjo and my mando practice time is suffering (obviously)

7 Likes

I’m still here, trucking along, trying to come terms with this mandolin, working on the 2020 Mandolin Project, trying to learn two new fiddle songs a month. I’ve bit off more than I can chew, so I’ve been working on the simple melodies - I’ll let the fancy embellishments come later. One of the reasons I’m running behind (besides time spent learning banjeer) is that I’ve been working on Ben’s version of Cherokee Shuffle and while it is easy enough to play, I’m having a heck of a time committing it to memory. So here’s Salt Creek to tide you over. Stay healthy!

7 Likes

Next up - Angeline the Baker, simple medley but I figured it all out by ear which is new for me. Wish I had figured that out in my 20’s not in middle age.

6 Likes

Coming along nicely Toddapplaud

2 Likes

Great job “by earing” it! I’ve been working on that more and more last several months. Funny thing I’ve noticed is, when I figure it out by ear, I tend to remember it better later on and it’s way easier to switch that song to a new key vs. memorizing tabs.
The downside is my “by ear” renditions are less fancy than tab learned stuff. Eventually as i work on it, some fanciness just might get in there…
Keep up the good progress! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I’ve found the more fiddle tunes I’ve learned, the better my ear is getting. That wasn’t the case after 20 years of guitar playing.

4 Likes

I’m inspired! I’ve got a mandolin sitting in a case right next to me not getting enough playing time! I may have to make a Holiday resolution to get something done before year end.

I spend a lot of time on fiddle tunes for the guitar. I can get a basic melody version down and memorized in a week (I think) but it takes a few weeks of daily, focused practice to commit a more complex arrangement to memory. My latest projects are Old Joe Clark and Ragtime Annie (and a little Salt Creek, and Cripple Creek, and…) - I’d work on one at a time but the repetition drives my wife crazy!

Stephen

4 Likes

Setting a goal hasn’t certainly helped. I’ve had to slow down and start with the basic melodies.

1 Like

Next up Cherokee Shuffle. I have been working on this one for awhile, had a heck of a time committing it to memory. Going to be awhile before I have it up to speed.

4 Likes

Nice! You’ve got the pieces learned, now just to get them to flow together smoothly. Keep it up, it’ll get there! This particular song took me forever to get down as well, and still can only get it at the slowest play along speed of Ben’s tracks. The rhythm part took a bit for me too. Hang in there :sunglasses:! Glad to see you’re still working this project :+1:t2:

2 Likes