Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Mic vs. Pickup

Thanks! I believe I’m going to get an Eastman E10D sunburst and put a pickup in it. I’m contemplating the pickup I’ll use, thinking about going with the K&K.

1 Like

That would be a pretty sweet plug in guitar. Here’s my thoughts on K&K in a guitar…
Advantages:

• Inexpensive
  • Easy and non-intrusive install that is easily reversible (except the hole for the jack… that can be done, but it takes some work)
  • A nice, non-quacky “natural” plugged in sound. More natural sounding than a typical UST
  • Adds very little weight. I don’t think it can have any significant effect on acoustic tone
  • You can run an external pre-amp and use it that equipment with other instruments

Disadvantages:

• The sound is a bit softer than an under-saddle transducer (UST), which I prefer, BUT it does not cut through a full band as well as a quacky UST
  • The sound is significantly impacted by the impedance of what you plug into, and in my opinion for most amps/PAs you NEED an impedance matched pre-amp in order to get what I consider a good tone

I have one guitar with K&K. I’ll be training the toneDexter with it and let you know how it goes. I have high hopes.

1 Like

Very interesting. I have to ask you. Do you have an opinion on Condensor Mics such as the Ear-Trumpet? These mics seem to simplify the initial set-up and reduce workload of the sound-mixer person, but of course require the musicians to ‘work the mic’ properly for balance. I’m considering picking a Condensor Mic up, as in actual practice with a 4-person band, it is always very difficult to get the mixing correct. (4-person band = approx. 8-mics to adjust!). Am I going down the wrong path towards a Condensor Mic for say, venues with fairly light background noise?

I love my Yeti Blue, though it is USB port. the cool thing is that there are four adjustments in terms of where the mic picks up the vocal or instrument or both from.

Now, I just read, that it can be XLR also…Cool!

Blue Yeti

1 Like

Looks like the “Yeti Pro” has XLR capability. I wonder how the quality of sound compares to the Ear Trumpet? Hmmmm…

Wish I’d seen this question sooner, there’s a great alternative to K&K, I’ve used them on several mandolins now I think they are a better quality of sound at a better price and unbeatable customer service, actually Ben I think you could do well to add them in your store. (and check out the thumbwheel control you can tuck them under your pick guard or even inside a sound hole and use as alternative to volume pedal, pretty cool!)

http://jjb-electronics.com/our-products.html

4 Likes