Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Major, minor, diminished, & augmented chords?

Did Gunnar goof up? Can’t believe!! :wink:

That said, I’d rather like to be one who goofs up with theory and perfect with play than be one perfect with theory and goofs up with play! :wink: :wink:

1 Like

No? I think I got it right, I was correcting Scotty, who slipped up

2 Likes

Oh you were kidding??!! Major-Minor, Minor-Major, Minor-Minor, Major-Major! The permutations! :slight_smile:

1 Like

You are in good company my friend. David Grier feels the same way!

5 Likes

Yeah @Dragonslayer

4 Likes

Same here. 100%. My theory is not BAD, but neither is it good. I need to work on it some more. Some of this was for sure over my head.

5 Likes

@DrGuitar1, Except that I don’t play perfect either! :wink: Your post wasn’t a light read for me so skipped to save it for later read. It’s over my head if I were to quote @Shaky_loves_banjo, but you always explain it well for a newbie so I will definitely read it, maybe later in the day today.

2 Likes

I’m sorry. In an effort to be quickly clear, I sometimes am quickly confusing.

Music theory has always been an interest of mine. I was especially interested in music theory I could use (rather than spending massive energy on figured bass and writing fugues).

This is why I joined this site years ago. Ben is an excellent player and watching him play has allowed me to analyze his playing and learn lots of info on bluegrass soloing. Unfortunately, I definitely know more than I can easily play, especially at a decent speed, but knowledge has always attracted me. And as much as I love learning, I am just as happy to share. So please forgive my excitement when a subject I love comes up and I get a little wordy. And if you think there is anything I have shared peaks your interest and you want clarification, just ask and I will do my best. :+1:

6 Likes

@DrGuitar1, I hadn’t thought about the dim7 chords resolving any one of 4 ways. I am looking forward to playing around with that. It sounds like it might be a useful arrow in the quiver for things like working my way between keys in between songs. Thanks for that!

2 Likes

Thanks for taking the time in this space. Valuable information and refreshment of memory. Takes me back to college Jazz Band and music theory classes, but the “physics” of chord structure are well worth a regular review. Appreciate it.

1 Like

I am in that same boat with you, my friend. It has never been good enough for me to just KNOW that a lick works over a G7 and a Bm7b5… I gotta know WHY. Music theory is my passion, as well.

2 Likes