Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Looking for recording help

Hey everyone!
I’d like to start recording some videos of my mandolin learning journey and I’m wondering if the forum-verse has any suggestions on set up. I know that recording straight through my phone or computer mic will more than likely give a lot of background noise. any suggestions? mic vs. pickup? Apps/programs?

3 Likes

I got a Yeti USB mic and love it. A lot less hassle than a standard mic and preamp, then converting to digital.

Are you running Windows or Mac?

3 Likes

well… i’d like to record to my iPhone if possible. If not, I would be running windows

1 Like

I use a Samson C03U USB Condenser Mic and a Logitech Webcam with the webcam mic disabled on my PC

There are less expensive condenser mic’s that would do a good job. The Yeti USB would work on a Windows PC

2 Likes

In that case you’ll want something like this.

IK Multimedia iRig Mic Studio digital studio microphone for iPhone, iPad, Android and Mac/PC (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TY2X18S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_jUqMEbF7SWDYX

I have no experience with it, so if you buy it, I’ll be awaiting your review.

2 Likes

I picked up an iRig voice at a yard sale last year, and I’ve been using that to record my instruments into GarageBand. It probably doesn’t work as well as the instrument mic, but it was like 3 bucks so I’m happy with it.

3 Likes

I have a behringer c-1u mic that has a USB cable. It plugs straight into my laptop and I’ve also got an adapter USB-to-Type C and can plug it into my tablet or phone. It is simple and works. For video I record with my tablet camera- it’s easier to frame up than the phone. My tablet is a Samsung Tab S6 running Andtoid. If you can still see the videos from the Will The Circle… contest I recorded mine on the tablet but not using the behringer mic.

3 Likes

Thanks Stephen! Can you link that thread?

2 Likes

If you don’t need professional quality recordings then any decent smartphone should work

3 Likes

Nate - here ya go!

2 Likes