Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Let's see em!

Ok, sort of like a fiddle neck, that would be something I’d find handy too. Just curious how much did it cost? :money_mouth_face:

1 Like

@banjoboyk, how do you like that radiused fingerboard? I have heard they are much easier to play. I am thinking of having one on my next banjo, I would like to play one first to be sure, but there are not a lot of banjo dealers in S. Texas. At least not that I am aware of.

Actually Casey Murphy’s signature banjo is a fairly new banjo. The AMB banjo company bought the copyright for the Kel Kroydon name a few years ago and so made a whole new series of Kel Krodon banjos. Some, like Casey Murphy’s were based on the old, original models from the 30s (hers was based on the more expensive KK 11, a $55 banjo. MIne was $40 in 1931).

Robin Smith of Heartland Banjos did a lot of the work on this line so when I got mine, I had him make my conversion neck (which is why it looks so nice!)

2 Likes

@tye705 it’s Casey Henry, Murphy is her Mom

Ouch! So right Archie! Thanks.

I love it! It is definitely easier to play especially when I use a barred position. (I don’t know if that is the actual name of it but it is when you bar at a fret and play above it)

1 Like

Well, I’m the third owner of this particular Prucha and lets just say a LOT. If you look at the Prucha website it was darn near MSRP for a base model Fall In Love and I added Keith tuners and railroad spikes. :money_mouth_face:

1 Like

Wow, ok, that’s quite a pretty penny there! But Keith tuners cost well nigh as much as my banjo did so what do I know? :joy: :money_mouth_face:

2 Likes

and i knew that too, not sure why i wrote it that way. I stand corrected. thank you.

he definitely has beautiful banjos for sure. But, If I had the money to upgrade, I would rather buy close to home (USA) and look at some Bishlines and there is Allen Banjos, he only makes 3 diffs. ones and he is in Houston (he is an independent maker). Which is only about 4-hour drive from me. The problem I have is that I can’t go play one because no one around here sells new banjos.

You can refer to both of them as Mursey.

3 Likes

Here’s my new RK-76 Elite from the Banjo Ben store. I really like it. Huge upgrade for me.
RKE-76RKE-76BackRKE-76EHeadRK-76EToneRing

7 Likes

Need to start playing them @Maggie before the get rusty :sunglasses::rofl::smiley::joy:

What the what the? I’ll have you know my dear I’m playing one instrument or another four to five hours per day. In fact, I just contacted Jake today about this weird whitish film or something on my RK arm rest that I can’t make go away. He told me it was normal wear except on cheap chrome plated banjos, which I guess is all I’ve ever had before.

I took the mando on my two week Seattle trip and learned Salt Creek, Arkansas Traveler, Old Joe Clark, and got started on Unclouded day. Because I was having some medical procedures done while there, I was down for a few days, so not bad for having never played mando before. And since I’ve been back, on the banjo, I’ve learned Ben’s Jesus Loves Me (Oh that first part is so pretty) and relearned Cumberland Gap and learned Reuben, which is NOT one I used to play way back when. It’s not quite up to speed yet but hey, I just got back Sunday. Oh my gosh, how did I never learn that song before? It’s got a little bit of everything, I love it.

So I notice in the picture of your pretty Stelling there @Archie, the arm rest looks clean and shiny. Hmmmmm.:thinking::grinning: arm%20rest

3 Likes

Your RK is really beautiful Maggie. . I want to learn Mando after I get somewhat decent at banjo. Which may take a few years…lol.

Woooo @Maggie, Just me joking around… Please forgive me if you found my comments rude or insulting. Your instruments are beautiful.

Oh honey, I’m just teasing ya… It’s all good. Smiley faces…:grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:

1 Like

This RK is the first quality banjo I’ve treated myself to. It’s not a Gibson or Prucha, or whatever, but it’s mine and I’m happy with it. Eh, don’t sell yourself short @tye705 . I played back in my teens and twenties, then stopped. Don’t know why. Just started up again four or five months ago (I’m in my 50s now) and I’ve quadrupled my repertoire and I’m better than I was when I was young-er. See, I didn’t have the resources I have here at BanjoBenClark.com. No instructors or mentors. I had one banjo book with some standard music notation and tabs. I didn’t know how the songs were supposed to sound though. I had a tape recorder that I could adjust the speed on so I got the church organist to play a couple of the songs for me and then I took it home and sped it up and slowed it down repeatedly to figure it all out. So time consuming. That’s probably why I gave it up, I had school, then a job and career… Anyway, this is the place man, you’re in the right place.

4 Likes

Well, I have always loved the banjo. As you can see in my Bio. But growing up in Cali in the 70’s I could count the number of banjo teachers on one finger…lol. I had a friend down the street that had a Stelling he had bought. I’m sure he paid a pretty good price for it then, cant imagine what it would be worth now. I really didn’t have the money a banjo back then, then life and things got in the way. This is where I am at in my life now and I will do the best I can, If I can get to the point where I can hear songs and play them, then I’ll be content. I’ve still got a couple of good years ahead of me…lol. I just turned 61 in August.

3 Likes

Nice banjo @Maggie! I see you got a Christmas tree instrument stand along with the instruments themselves. I hope those photos are warped a bit and that’s not the actual shape of that mando neck :wink: is Reuben a tune with dtuners? And do you have Dtuners?

1 Like