Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Latest Reads

I much prefer in-house debates over sprinkling vs. immersion, timing of the rapture, or even the age of the earth rather than this issue. Reason being is that I find High Calvanism greatly alters the character of God. Norman Geisler’s book Chosen But Free points out, “God’s will cannot be cut loose from His immutable nature, hence limited atonement is ruled out by essential omnibenevolence.” Roger Olson’s book (and try not to judge it by its title) “Against Calvanism” is one of the best books I have ever read on the topic. Nonetheless, I am happy to say that I have been blessed by several Calvanists; Arthur Pink’s book Guarding Your Heart is awesome! (despite his Calvanism :rofl: ; the Calvanist teacher across the hallway joins me in prayer each morning before our day at school; and Banjo Ben is the best in the business. But as for me and my house, we believe Christ died for all: 1 Timothy 4:10 (interesting wording if salvation was only offered to believers), 2 Peter 2:1 (here we have false teachers whose sins have been paid for), Hebrews 2:9, 1 John 2:2, 4:14, John 3:15, 11:26, 12:46, Acts 2:21 & 10:43. Love you, my Calvanist friends. Stay salty and keep pickin’
https://soteriology101.com/2017/06/16/why-ravi-zacharias-rejects-calvinism/

2 Likes

Hey Ben not to derail, but one book I wanted to mention I did in a men’s bible study a while back is called Beautiful Outlaw, check out the site @ https://www.ransomedheart.com/rhplay/video/beautiful-outlaw-video-series-chapter-1 and the book

Haven’t read him, though I did watch a couple of specials about him on NRB years back.

I got the book Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis, and though it’s not long, it will take me a long time to read it. (I read very slow).

This could be a good one for the future.

Though the best theological minds of yesterday and today (Calvin, Edwards, Spurgeon, Sproul) are in agreement on Calvinism, I can’t embrace it yet.

Also, it’s not an essential in my personal opinion. I find it quite fascinating, but I think I’d be better off letting God explain it to me someday.

1 Like

Love C.S. Lewis, a fun read is Screwtape Letters as well from him. :grinning:

3 Likes

I previewed…Looks really interesting. :+1:

Yes, I have it. Haven’t finished it yet.

Out of a Silent Planet is awesome too.

I really like I don’t have enough faith to be an atheist by Norman Geisler and Frank Turek

3 Likes

I am reading that book right now! Great book!

1 Like

Yes, I have read the Screwtape letters. It was excellent to get a look @ spiritual warfare from the dark side.

Here ye, here ye…I agree with your last statement. Someday He will make it all clear to us! For me the truth of salvation and free will in believing in the triune God (G3) causes me to mourn for those who do not know the truth and to follow the call to share his word to the ends of the earth. (Though I will not be going to the end of the earth those I share with may or perhaps I e tbey share with) the ripple effect.
I testing to discuss, but certainly not at the risk of splitting a church. (I do u derstand that this discourse is a friendly discussion).

2 Likes

I do…Essentials unity. Non essential liberty. All things charity.

1 Like

Thank you for your charity and kind spirit. I would say that the relationship with God’s sovereignty and man’s responsibility is an in-house debate as well. As long as the essentials of the gospel are maintained, the rest of these “points” are indeed secondary. What are the essentials in this debate? Sinful man requires God’s supernatural grace to understand truth and come to God (John 6:44, 1 Cor. 2:14, etc), and all men are responsible to come to God through Christ and make a willing choice to repent of their sins and believe (Mark 1:15, etc.). No Bible-believing Arminian nor Calvinist will deny either of those.

When you say “High Calvinism” perhaps you are referring to hyper-Calvinists? Those who would say evangelism is not necessary? I reject hyper-Calvinism as heresy and a debate with them would not be in-house, as I would not be in fellowship with anyone who doesn’t obey the Great Commission.

Further, as a man cut from the same cloth as Charles Spurgeon, I believe that Christ did indeed die for all in some sense. Why? Because the Bible says so :slight_smile: However, only those who place their faith in Christ will be saved. I want to clarify that since universalists use 1 Timothy 4:10 as support for their belief.

6 Likes

I agree with those essentials,Ben, but I believe in prevenient grace rather than irresistible. I also believe in total depravity but not to the extent that man is incapable of responding to that grace. I’ve re-edited this for fear that my earlier defining of terms would have stirred up the debate over which some have heartache.

1 Like