Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Just One Band or Album

Well if it was someone who likes gospel music, I’d probably recommend New Found Road, and Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver. They’re some of my favorites!

3 Likes

The soundtrack to O’ Brother Where Art Thou.

1 Like

Yes Dave, this is Rich from Sheridan, Wyoming! It was great to meet you at camp!

3 Likes

The first time our family heard bluegrass “defined” was at a Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver show in 2017. We still try to pattern our 6-piece band after their sound. It’s just the standard!

The 2010 “Light on My Feet, Ready to Fly” album is my personal favorite.

6 Likes

These are all fantastic recommendations - I’m downloading them all!

I would be remiss if I didn’t add one (silly) recommendation myself :wink:. The Melting Pot Squirrel Stew band debuted at the October Cabin Camp! Yes, that’s right, members came together from Germany, Wyoming, Missouri, Alabama, and Louisiana to meld their talents into a potpourri of music sure to please every musical tastebud. @Wayne_H kicked off the Circle with a great intro and poured out some serious banjo chops on the first break. Becki vamped background banjo and was the secret sauce that held this dish together. Rich, Peter, and Wayne danced around the mic in a perfectly choreographed and efficient use of the main microphone, while @HeloSteve spiced up the performance with a great mandolin break and added vocals to the big finish. Rich and Peter blended their harmonized guitar parts on their break and swapped vocal parts throughout the song, adding to the nuanced complexity of this presentation. Yes, there were many cooks contributing to this stew, and this was one sweet recipe for success, hahahahaha!

Thanks to @Simone for the video and thanks to @BanjoBen for a great camp!

6 Likes

I absolutely spaced on Kathy Mattea. She has an album called “Coal” and another by the name of “Calling me Home” that are both fantastic. Definitely worth a listen!

3 Likes

I just re-re-listened to Steve Huber’s “Team Flathead” album today. It’s REALLY good. 13 tracks of traditional instrumental bluegrass; almost like hearing a top notch professional jam session. The team is:

Banjo- Steve Huber, Sammy Shelor, Jim Mills, Ron Stewart, John Lawless
Guitar- Kenny Smith
Mandolin- Alan Bibey
Fiddle- Ron Stewart
Bass- Andy Todd

2 Likes

I thought I’d chime in on those who may be into Prog Rock and/or Jam Band fans… and I’d suggest Greensky Bluegrass, Yonder Mountain String Band and Trampled By Turtles.

Not exactly Traditional Bluegrass, I know… But like was said… give something that the listener might be able to relate to…

Another Crossover from Country that I might recommend is “Swimmin’ Pools, Movie Stars…” by Dwight Yoakam… or something by Marty Stuart- who always walks that crossover line anyway.

Gospel - why not Ben’s immensely talented sisters: The Purple Hulls!

Just to ease someone into an intro to an artist… How about Raising Sand by Robert Plant and Alison Krauss? this would be a gateway to getting the listener accustomed to Alison’s amazing voice. :wink:

For truly Traditional, I think my choice would be anything from early Flatt & Scruggs…

Great topic @Rich :facepunch:

3 Likes

Just looked it and got it on Amazon music. Thanks for the recommendation of Team Flathead @Michael_Mark

3 Likes

Trampled by Turtles, that’s a great name LOL!

4 Likes

What kind of gargantuan turtles would those be? :rofl: :rofl: You’d probably be able to get a lot of tortoise shell flatpicks out of one!

4 Likes