Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Jerry Scribner from Richmond, TX!

What was it that first got you interested in playing the guitar, mandolin or banjo?
In 1998 my two daughters were in Sunday school. They would sing songs but had no instruments to accompany them. I thought to myself that these songs can’t be that difficult to learn so I bought an inexpensive Fender to learn the songs.

How long have you been playing and what’s your motivation to play?
Since 1998. In that year a friend gave me the Doc Watson “Memories” CD and my family instantly fell in love with him. I started learning about bluegrass, Monroe, Stanleys, Jim and Jesse, etc. Then a friend turned me onto Tony Rice and Norman Blake and I was totally hooked. Learning to play in their style has been one of my main motivators.

What’s your favorite lesson on Ben’s site and how has it helped you improve?
I love the “build a break” series and when Ben interviews people Like Tony Wray. The rhythm lessons have helped me tremendously.

What’s your goal when playing?
My goal is to be the rhythm player that everyone wants to play with.

Are there any other instruments or genres of music that you enjoy playing?
I love many types of music. Gospel, 70-80’s rock.

Do you have a favorite technique? What is it?
I enjoy crosspicking and syncopated rhythm

If you could play in anyone’s band, who would it be and why?
I would absolutely love to play In the Purple Hulls band because they are some of the most versatile and amazing musicians I know.

What type of gear or accessories have you found that work best for you?
I play a 2001 Merrill C-18 and a 2019 Merrill 000-18 12 fret that I love. I use Bluechip picks and an Elliot capo. I use mainly Martin Tony Rice Monel medium gauge strings.

If money was no object, what would be your dream instrument(s)?
Norman Blakes 1934, I believe it was 1934 12 fret “H” guitar.

If you didn’t have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?
Learn more fiddle tunes LOL.

Anything else you’d like to add?
I have attended the last two consecutive Banjo Ben Cabin Camps and will be attending my third in the fall of 2021. I would HIGHLY recommend people attend the Camps.

Thanks for letting us feature you Jerry!

17 Likes

Congratulations Jerry. I think I met you at the October cabin camp. I enjoyed reading your story.

2 Likes

Congratulations Jerry! Great to hear about your musical journey, great playing with you this past spring, hope to see you at another cabin camp soon!

3 Likes

Nice to get to know you Jerry. That’s a great looking Merrill!

2 Likes

gif Jerry on being selected as this weeks Gold Pick Member

1 Like

Congratulations on GPOTW! I too, would like to attend a Camp session. Everytime I see photos of those hog-roasts, I slobber all over my computer keyboard. :frowning: Happy Picking!

1 Like

Thank you so very much!! Love Ben and his sisters!!

2 Likes

Hey Jeff, thank you very much!!

1 Like

Mike, thank you very much. Love that gitar!!

2 Likes

Congrats on being the gpotw Jerry! Enjoyed your interview, and wish you all the best in your musical endeavors! (Gotta agree with you about the Purple Hulls)

1 Like