Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Irish washer woman

Very well done!

1 Like

That is outstanding! It made me happy to listen to it!

1 Like

Thanks Ben, I take that as high praise from you. :blush:
Now if only I can just play it the same everytime. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I guess it’s just practise.
It’s one thing that I get annoyed and frustrated over. I can learn a tune, play it OK one day and another just mess up all the time.
Does anyone else have this problem. Does consistency just come with practise and experience over the years?

1 Like

That’s so cool Jon, I love it, great job :clap: I feel like I want to just buckle down and learn this one. I’m sure the feeling will pass.

You rock. No wait… you bluegrass. I think we should all start trying to use the word “bluegrass” as a verb; let’s see if we can start a trend.

2 Likes

Thanks Maggie. :+1:

1 Like

Bluegrass and roll!

2 Likes

Most everyone has that problem & yes experience does help with consistency.

some days I need a longer warm up period to play anything correctly.

Some days I’m Just uncoordinated and playing well is out of the question…so I use those days toplay slowly… working on smaller things/licks or learn something new.

That’s how I am. Some days my brain feels completely wired directly to my fingers and I can control them well. Another day my fingers can be all over the place. I tend to do exactly what you do and slow down and work on parts that I have trouble with.
Another curious thing I find, others may or may not find this. If I concentrate too hard with my contious mind on a tune or tricky part in a tune, that’s when I lose it. If I kind of switch off and just enjoy the music, my subcontious part of my brain, (the part we call muscle memory) takes over and I can play better.

Glad I’m not alone in this. I was thinking maybe it was just me. :grin: :+1:

1 Like

Me 2, Some day’s all goes well, next day it can all fall to pieces. It certainly has got a lot better over the years especially since I became one of @BanjoBen 's students…

On such occasions, I watch TV or a Movie and just allow my subconscious to control my fingers. I work on licks or short phrases. Playing the phrase over and over in a loop. This helps me with difficult picking patterns i.e Single String or Alan Munde’s Inside Roll Patterns. And some of the more complex left hand finger passages that can become frustrating if I try to concentrate too hard. The TV helps me relax and when I am ready to play the notes seem to flow better.

1 Like

Yes I do that too Archie, it seems if our contious mind is destracted it helps.
It’s fascinating how our brains work and absorb things. My one year old has learned and is obsessed with pressing buttons at the moment, she almost pressed the alarm bell in the elevator today when I was in town. :rofl: I’m hoping she will be just as fascinated by the banjo/guitar later. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oh yeah, happens to me too

That was sooo good! Your timing was spot on and the backing tracks were tastefully done, too!

That was a real treat to listen to. You’re progressing so fast it’s mind blowing.

2 Likes

Thanks Mark, I try my best. :+1:

1 Like

Put this together for a bit of fun and through in a bit more mandolin on the track, though my mandolin playing is not that great. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Hope you enjoy it.:+1:

4 Likes

Great job Jon! Nice added touch with the dancing Irish washer woman silhouette at the end.

1 Like

Love it Jon :heart:

1 Like

Yay!!

1 Like

Cool!

1 Like