Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Intermediate mandolins to consider

Hello Ben, new gold pick member here. I have noticed the very nice mandolins appearing in your videos. Unfortunately way out of my price range and I imagine others to. Would anyone have recomendations for a good intermediate mandolin ? I have at present a Loar LM600vs and 2 Tacoma mandolins that seem to play fair enough BUT…like many acoustic guitars all play different and have different levels of easiness to play. any help would be greatly appreciated from this fellow picker…>Thanks<

6 Likes

Great question, @jim_staff! I completely understand about the price range, believe me.

As far as mid-range mandos, you’re in luck because there are so many great mandos for the money. I mean, just incredible! We’re in the “golden age” of mandolin production and you’ve never been able to get such a great mando for the price as you can now. These brands would include Loar, Eastman, Kentucky, and some others I’m sure. However, I’m only familiar with the Loar/Eastman/Kentucky, which is what I carry.

Actually, let me tell you a bit about my philosophy in instruments I carry in the store and that will answer your question. I only carry instruments/models that I believe are worth the money. I could stock all kinds of stuff but I only stock items I’d endorse or recommend. So if you want to know what I recommend for a specific price range, take a look at my store and there they are (whether they’re in stock is a different story).

Regarding the 3 brands, I lean toward Eastman…barely…and not always.

7 Likes

I can add that I got the Eastman 515V from the BBC General Store almost 2 years ago and still love it. It keeps its tuning really real and sounds great (it’s also a beautiful instrument to look at)

6 Likes

Honestly, with a Loar LM600, you’re probably gonna have to spend about 1500 to get something noticeably better. That’s a pretty good mandolin already, and I know people who gig them professionally

3 Likes

I got an Eastman MD-515 from the Store a few years ago. It’s hard to imagine getting more mando for the money. The tone is great and the setup Jake did on it was really nice.

Of course, they’re sold out right now.

5 Likes

I so much appreciate your insight on companies. I have since then invested in what I think 2 very sound instruments of joy…the Eastman MD315 and after a mere couple of weeks I then went with the Eastman MD305…pickin’ cousins’ I believe…both played extreamly well straight from the get go…the 305 has a bigger bark than the 315 in this case but man…unfortunatly you did not have in stock as you know they are getting harder to get…I’m havin’ a great time with your site and am going to continue for some time to come…thanks…Jim

5 Likes

I would normally agree…but after the 2nd bridge and setup from a well renowned company in Lansing Mi. I ended up getting both the Eastman MD315 and MD305 both of which in my opinion are far better than the LM600 I myself have…almost no comparison…I now have far more fun learning and encourage these models on most any level…thanks for your words Dragonslayer.

3 Likes

Right on Mark…They are getting harder to aquire…I ended up getting both the 315 and 305…man LOVE them both…thanks

1 Like

I endulged in both the 305 and 315…got a feeling no regrets what so ever to come…

2 Likes

Okay @jim_staff and everyone else here, I have a The Loar LM 520 that I’ve had since 2014(ish). It has a good set up and I guess I get around on it okay but my left hand (fret hand) hurts after i’ve played it for a while…maybe 25 or 30 min. I also have a little Rogue mandolin that I got very cheap and did my own set up on it. It is actually very easy to play but obviously doesn’t sound as good as the 520. I can play that Rogue all night!

So I’ve looked very seriously at the 305 and 315 as something that would be easy to play and still have great mandolin sound. First of all, am I right? And is there any difference in playability between the two? AND, is there any tonal difference between them?

1 Like

@musicman.baker I would look at the differences in the neck which by your statement one seems more comfortable to play then the other I ran into the same issue I purchased a Loar Lm310 which is a nice little starter Mandolin but it was vary uncomfortable for me to play for any length of time what I figured out because of the size of my hands I had to purchase a mandolin with a wider string spacing in other words a wide nut which i did now i can play for hours with no discomfort, and also a wider and thicker neck

I am going through the same thing on my banjos I have hand carved a neck for a gourd banjo I am building I literally sat in my recliner and caved it until everything felt comfortable to me and most would say what I have ended up with is way to large but for me it feels comfortable and allows everything as far as my fretting hand is concerned to feel natural

1 Like

Yes Don. The nut width on my LM 520 is 1 1/8, the Rogue is 1 3/32. Also, the neck isn’t as chunky on the Rogue as it is on the LM 520. What I’d love to know is how the neck of the 305 and 315 compare to the LM 520.

@musicman.baker I have had a 305 in my hands but for the life of me I cannot remember how the neck felt in my hands I do recall there was something I did not like about it and for the life of me I cannot remember what it was
for me every mandolin neck feels to small which has a lot to do with the size of my hands I can literally palm a basket ball in either hand without trying real hard

I ended up having to do a special order from a builder and he built the neck for me thicker and wider with string spacing of 3/8 of an inch most would say that’s way to wide but its comfortable for me

Thanks for your input Don…decisions decisions…

My take on them so far is this…they both play very easy and can be played for hours and I have had no issue’s with hand getting sore…they both in my hands play identical as far as playability. Sound wise I believe my 305 ( A model) has more of a bark than that of my 315 ( F Style). I believe I can soundly say this as when I’m chppin’ a full G chord with the 305 the banjos and or guitars haning on my wall start a hummin’ . now that’s with my back to them in my man cave and the 315 rings them but not near as loudly or strongly as the 305…the necks of the Eastmans’s are a not as deep as my Loar LM600 much more meat on the loar and more uncomfortable…this is just my opininon.hope it is of some help…

3 Likes

I believe even Ben and Jake have mentioned that, all else being equal, they’ve both noticed A style mandos having an overall better sound than their F style counterparts. The few times I’ve compared similar models side by side, that’s been my experience, too.

The F style just looks so much cooler, though. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I think I have heard exceptions to that, but without a doubt, the A’s always seem to be the better choice in tone per dollar.

:+1:

BTW, on the original question: I have always been impressed with the Eastmans.

6 Likes

You can go withseagull s8 mandolin

1 Like

I didn’t know seagull made mandolins, good deal!

2 Likes

I am so very happy with my Eastman MD-315… purchased right down at the BanjoBen Store. I hope you like your Eastman purchases, @jim_staff ! :slight_smile:

2 Likes