Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

I did an experiment tonight

Burning the song into your brain is so helpful, it makes it way easier to learn, and to play. Also listening to a song is what makes me want to learn it; I often decide to learn a song that’s been stuck in my head

1 Like

Yeah, I agree guys. There are some songs that just come easy, perhaps because of their structure, lot’s of rolls, great beats, and real catchy tunes and they’re good solid bluegrass tunes that most players know.

I’ve just gone back recently and picked up these that I believe are in this category; Nine Pound Hammer, Fireball Mail, John Henry, John Hardy, Buffalo Gals, and Keep on the Sunny Side. I had these down at or near 100% speed within a day.

3 Likes

Great list, Maggie! Thanks!

I like warming up on Fireball mail to get my fingers going. :wink:

2 Likes

Wow sounds like your getting ready to post that video @Maggie

1 Like

You’re funny Archie, funny guy :slight_smile:

1 Like

But does your fireball mail reach the fifteenth fret?

Yep… Its not exactly how others play it up the neck, but to quote Frank Sinatra 'I did it (or do it) my way :grin:

1 Like

Mark_Rocka is at a different plane now! Soon he will start to just play it, when you hand him the notes! I usually listen to the music a few times to get it into my head before I try it but then after seeing Mark’s suggestion on using TEF files, I started to go by the notes from practicing at a slow tempo. TEF seems to work good for me except for what finger to use then I will check Ben’s lessons.

2 Likes

LOL! I can’t wait for that day! :smiley:

Yeah, my new method is now going to be:

1 - listen to the song until it’s thoroughly burned into my brain
2 - Download the TEF file and learn 2 to 3 measures at a time
3 - slowly increase speed using the TEF
4 - Reference the videos for any questions
5 - Use the jam tracks once I can play the tune from memory

2 Likes

This is pretty much what I aim for, not necessarily in that order :thinking:

1 Like

Great, I’m going to (try to) follow this too!

Hi Archie, how is it going?

2 Likes

Hi John I am fine. Remind me where you know me from, the grey matter is beginning to wane a little.

1 Like

I thought we met in Lake district, oh maybe not, I planned to go there but then I didn’t happen. Or maybe you had come down to the London bridge?? Just trying to remember too. :wink: :wink: j/k Suspense!

Not me John, I guess you are thinking of someone else

Archie, are you now sure?? :slight_smile: I think I put some thumbs up to your videos a few months ago and that’s how?? I’m not very regular poster here though.

Hi John, I have never been to the Lake District or London Bridge. You may know me from my videos though.

Hi Archie, I was just kidding (j/k). Yes from the videos only.

Well, I sat down to the rest of the song today. I got the second verse and ending committed to memory and playing at 100% speed in just over an hour. I can tell I need to spend more time getting the muscle memory down so it’s automatic, but all in all, adding this one extra step of burning in the song ahead of time seems like it’s well worth the effort.

I came back to it a few hours later and it wasn’t automatic, but I think playing it through another hour or two will do the trick. If the rest of the songs go like this, I may be able to get in more than 10 before camp. :slight_smile:

1 Like

We know you will do it! :slight_smile:

1 Like