Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

How to Practice - Recognizing Progress (split from Blackberry Blossom topic)

Everyone learns differently.
TAB actually holds me back as opposed to seeing something played and learning it from a video.
Also, I can memorise things far faster when not depending on reading TAB or notation

It’s a great tool, but it can become a crutch just as quickly as it becomes an asset.

1 Like

Hi Dave I hear ya buddy, I’ll often start out reading the tab then as I become familiar with the tune and start to build speed I stop reading the tab and listen to the .tef file instead. I add bass to Ben’s tabs and that really helps with timing.

As you say everyone learns differently so what works for me might not work for others. But I offer as a suggestion for others to consider. Ben also encourages the use of .tef files.

2 Likes

Tye,

That Charlie Brown strip is PRICELESS! Well played, Sir. Well played!

2 Likes

Mark, this is GOLD!!! You should make this learning process list a sticky for this thread or create a new one. I am going to print this off so I can reference it.

4 Likes

Thanks Joe! That’s not a bad idea. We’ll have to get @BanjoBen to weigh in on that and see where he’d want it pinned if he thinks it’s sticky - worthy.

1 Like

Wherever you want, that’s great!

1 Like

Any one using a looper to practice?