Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

How to Practice - Recognizing Progress (split from Blackberry Blossom topic)

:joy: :laughing: that’s a good one, I’ll remember that one (well, I’ll try to)
Personally, I prefer to practice my rolls by playing songs that use them. Same with hammers, pull-offs, licks etc. It is an eternal learning curve, as even the “masters” keep improving and learning, so we should too.
You can keep motivated by listening to banjo music, and that will help with knowing more songs too

2 Likes

You just beat me to the punch. @Mark_Rocka This is all stuff you I and @BanjoBen keep repeating but somehow we are just not getting the message across.

Fundamentals are the KEY to learning to play banjo guy’s & gals. Master the Beginners Learning Track and everything after that will through time begin to fall in place.

1 Like

I think part of the problem is the growing popularity of the board. I love how busy the board has been lately. The downside is that good info tends to get pushed down pretty quickly.

1 Like

@Mark_Rocka I do have “Song Surgeon” and when I am learning one of the songs on @BanjoBens lessons, Ill download the mpeg file of him playing with backup and download the tab and play it slow. I love the song “John Henry” (basic) I play it around 60bpm. I still have to look at the tab. But there are songs I would love to attempt to play, that are NOT on Bens lessons. I made a book when i first started playing 5yrs ago of songs that i would like to learn. So that’s what I would like to learn to do also. I’m a show me/let me listen kind of guy so just trying to play “some” song doesn’t work for me. I know we are all at different levels of learning. I wouldn’t want to go to some jam somewhere and then when they pick a song, I’d be like “i don’t know that one i am still 4 lessons away”. The cool thing i do like about playing is that when i am following a lesson and playing along with Ben at a slow pace, some of the chords I hear make me think of another song.

1 Like

This right here! Learning the song before trying to learn it is very important! That’s why I can’t just play a song from a tab, and why I can’t fluently sight read music (standard notation) I always have to hear it first

4 Likes

@Maggie,

I re-read your post and want to call it out once more… FANTASTIC! So glad you have joined us… plus the parallel of us both starting with the Banjer but crossing over to Mando around the same time.

2 Likes

I have to say I struggled with TAB in the beginning and learned the basics from the Murphy Method watching and listening> I knew though that if I wanted to improve I had to learn to read TAB simply because all the other teaching methods out there at the time relied on TAB as a teaching tool. It’s hard work trying to learn a tune from printed TAB by the time you’ve read it converted the information into finger movements the moment has gone.

Are you using TefView or TablEdit @Dragonslayer if not then your progress will be painfully slow and I would encourage you to at least get the free TefView software and spend time learning to read TAB.

I would say the vast majority of banjo players don’t use standard notation.

I love that and I’m gonna steal it.

I’ve never heard of the banjo referred to like this and I can’t think of a better way to describe it. A joyful instrument indeed.

1 Like

Awww

[quote=“Maggie, post:36, topic:7025”]
I’ve never heard of the banjo referred to like this and I can’t think of a better way to describe it. A joyful instrument indeed.
@Maggie, Here you go Maggie.

5 Likes

8 Likes

Oh, @Archie, that wasn’t what I meant; I can read tab for guitar, banjo, fiddle/mandolin, and harmonica. What I meant was, I can’t get the tune from tab by itself. If I hear the tune, and have the tab, I can learn it easily. I just have to hear the tune. I don’t use tef. Tab. When I learn one of Ben’s lessons, I watch the video, pausing to practice frequently, and commit it to memory on the spot, and refine it later. I usually download the pdf. tab and rarely even look at it

1 Like

Hi @Dragonslayer I understand what your saying I was in that same position when I started out that’s why I encourage folks to get free TefView or purchase the TablEdit software. you can then download the .tef files and play the TAB on your computer or phone.

You will make much better progress using Ben’s .tef files.

Checkout this thread.

TablEdit - RU a Nubie ? READ THIS

1 Like

Everyone learns differently.
TAB actually holds me back as opposed to seeing something played and learning it from a video.
Also, I can memorise things far faster when not depending on reading TAB or notation

It’s a great tool, but it can become a crutch just as quickly as it becomes an asset.

1 Like

Hi Dave I hear ya buddy, I’ll often start out reading the tab then as I become familiar with the tune and start to build speed I stop reading the tab and listen to the .tef file instead. I add bass to Ben’s tabs and that really helps with timing.

As you say everyone learns differently so what works for me might not work for others. But I offer as a suggestion for others to consider. Ben also encourages the use of .tef files.

2 Likes

Tye,

That Charlie Brown strip is PRICELESS! Well played, Sir. Well played!

2 Likes

Mark, this is GOLD!!! You should make this learning process list a sticky for this thread or create a new one. I am going to print this off so I can reference it.

4 Likes

Thanks Joe! That’s not a bad idea. We’ll have to get @BanjoBen to weigh in on that and see where he’d want it pinned if he thinks it’s sticky - worthy.

1 Like

Wherever you want, that’s great!

1 Like

Any one using a looper to practice?