Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

How religious will this camp be? :-)

Ah! but would he dare to record himself and publish a vid for all to see ? Are you up for the challenge @BanjoBen ?

10 Likes

haha… once bitten, twice shy, huh? I have seen that with Charismatic movement settings/gatherings before/while they induct you into their group!

4 Likes

I totally agree with Gunnar @Dragonslayer and would love to know both Steve’s reason for not believing the Bible and Keith’s reason for claiming to be an atheist. If they don’t want to discuss it that’s totally fine, however.

4 Likes

Thank you all for the replies, looks like everything will be ok. I just had to ask because of some of the comments I’ve read here and on the Purple Hulls page; and like I said, I’ve had quite a few experiences where people assume too much.

6 Likes

Great, and with @HeloSteve’s last comment, this is a good time to end this thread :wink:

11 Likes

I have every confidence it will be Steve. Have a great time. hug

3 Likes

“just curious… why is it that you don’t believe the bible?”

Because for years I read and studied it. My mother was pentecostal and my father didn’t go to church much, and I eventually became a southern baptist,(I actually thought seriously about becoming a baptist preacher in my teens), and after marrying my wife (who is catholic), I became a catholic. I believe I gave christianity a fair chance. Now I practice buddhist meditation and follow the teachings of the Buddha, but I don’t believe in any gods.

It’s not that I “claim” to be an Atheist…I just am. There’s no test that you have to take. :yum: . No one here owes me an explanation as to why they aren’t an atheist either, so…

2 Likes

I just say that because I’m an A-Athiest and the Bible says everyone already knows God exists in their heart. (Romans 1 KJV) When someone asks me to prove God, I like to ask them to prove atheists! :slightly_smiling_face: But If you don’t want to talk about it— and based on the history of these types of threads maybe we shouldn’t— that’s okay.

3 Likes

I say we let it go…

1 Like

That’s fine

Normally I have no issues with getting into it but it is difficult to do that without alienating others and I’d rather not do that on this site. What is an “A-Atheist”?

1 Like

No problem. It’s important that we keep the conversation open and respectful so that everyone can participate. An A-Athiest is a person who doesn’t believe that anyone truly doesn’t believe or doesn’t know that God exists, based on Romans chapter 1.

4 Likes

9 Likes

Preeeeach

1 Like

Well,…like I said. Let’s let it go at that. :wink:

1 Like

I was assuming a different meaning until I saw Mark_Rocka’s post! I guess Ben’s getting revelations now. Good one-liner!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well shucks Archie… why all the focus on me? I’ll happily answer your questions but not all of them. Here’s why: I don’t think you’ll accept my answers.

The first question you asked was why curiosity? Well, it’s something I deeply care about and I am inquisitive.

I wanted to ask Steve about what Steve believed. Here’s another motive - I think the fastest way to get to know someone is to ask them questions. I thought I was pretty clear about that in the question addressed to @HeloSteve, not @Archie. But hey… ok! The more the merrier.

Gunnar did an outstanding job with your concern! I don’t understand why that didn’t satisfy you. But it didn’t an a lot of hostility came across in your answer. That’s ok. I can and will over look it. In fact (in the spirit of James 1:2) I’m gonna count it all joy my friend! Thanks!

John Knox was a stud. Calvin and Martin were too. Since you bring them up, I really wish church history was common knowledge but it is a far cry from that. Did you know that Knox’s grave is currently paved over with a parking lot? That’s how little he is appreciated nowadays. What a shame. But you can still visit his home, which I hope to do one day. I read a great book about him and I attach a pic or two to this reply.

You mention that:
“I live in a country where asking that kind of question can and does create conflict.”
That’s evident. You’ve created one. In that regard, you’re in the Spirit of an American. America was founded on conflict. Do you expect us to act differently?

You mention that:
“The UK is multi religious multi faith and no faith country.”
How do you classify the USA? Sadly, I’ll quote many of the recent presidents, “America is no longer a Christian nation.” They are correct. America is a melting pot refusing to melt. There are so many folks of different backgrounds and guess what - that doesn’t stop people from holding civil conversations about matters of faith. I’m used to both types of responses, welcoming and hostile, concerning a wide variety of topics.

You mention that:
"To me a man or women is free to choose whatever religion they are inclined to follow and it’s my believe that is written into the US constitution, even though I haven’t read it. I am sure someone will correct me if I got it wrong. As a soldier who served in NI during “The Troubles” back in the 1970s my role was to help keep the peace by keeping the two communities apart and allow them to worship God in a way of their choosing. No easy task when these two communities are shooting, bombing and murdering each other at every opportunity they can. Thankfully peace has been restored to the Provence but many grievances remain. I am a Christian but I no longer attend church. not because I don’t believe but because I lost confidence in the church leadership. Many people across Africa have been killed for being a Christian. So it’s worth stepping back and looking at the bigger picture and ask. Why? My question to Johnny. Why the curiosity ? Does it offend Johnny if Steve is not a Southern Baptist? I don’t know anything about the Baptist Church or the Quakers, or the Amish, the Jehovah Witness or the Mormons or the Jewish Church. What I do know is I have respect for their right to worship in the way of their choosing.

~ In short I don’t discriminate."

There’s a lot to unpack there. I’ll only reply to one bit of it. You’re discriminating against me. You injected yourself needlessly into a conversation because of assumptions that you made. By No means am I perfect. No that alone was Christ. I wonder why he would choose me to begin with. I’d end this reply with this: John 15:12-14
12 This is My commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends. 14 You are My friends if you do what I command you.

4 Likes

Hi Johnny Thanks for your replay. It answers my question. I respect @BanjoBen 's suggestion to terminate this thread.

2 Likes

Point of order here. Those statements you cite: Sadly, I’ll quote many of the recent presidents, “America is no longer a Christian nation.” They are correct. America is a melting pot refusing to melt". That would have to assume that America had previously been a “Christian” nation. Our founding papers mention nothing about any specific faith, only the right to observe your chosen one. Christianity may very well be the most common ideology in the U.S. but it certainly wasn’t / isn’t the only one. I’m also curious as to what you mean by “refusing to melt”

3 Likes