Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Does anyone else have the EASTMAN MD315

Cool @jpuhalski.

Have you used the pickups at a jam or gig?

I use the pickup when i play at church since everyone is amplified. I go to bluegrass jams and donā€™t use the pickups there.

How does the 315 sound amplified?

Is there unique characteristics to the sound?

The pros seem to swear by Waverly tuners, but for $600 or more Iā€™ll just keep re-tuning for now.

If I were to throw a numberā€¦ Say $150ā€¦ is there a couple of good options for tuner replacements?

I care more for quality and finction more than brand or looksā€¦ Beyond the $60 Grovers that @jpuhalski discussed?

Also, is there thought to upgrades being a good idea (functional improvement) versus modifying the original instrument?

Donā€™t get me wrong, I know my 315 is not some classic Mando where the original has intrinsic valueā€¦ but any time one makes a mod to an instrument, there is some risk/reward to consider.

Thoughts on that?

Any suggestions?

1 Like

I think changing the tuners on a 315 is an improvement and does not negatively affect the resale value. (Based what Iā€™ve seen on the mandolincafe classifieds) I know only a few tuner brands, Grover, Gotoh, Rubner, Waverly, thereā€™s another that I canā€™t think of nowā€¦

2 Likes

Schaller. Thatā€™s the one I forgot. I think they come on the 515 so itā€™d be a good option

2 Likes