Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Mandolin lesson: Hymn Study– I Surrender All

@Simone

I like you could read treble clef but have been trying to learn to read bass clef. One trick I figured out is on bass clef the note you know in treble clef is just one line or space lower than what you are used to on treble clef. For example, in treble clef the A on the second space of the staff would be located on the first space of the bass clef, in the same staff position as the lower D in treble clef. I hope this helps you pick it up faster.
-Tim

2 Likes

Hey Ben! I’m sitting in a hospital in upper East Tennessee and it’s 2:30 AM. For over a month now I have been battling a bowel obstruction that is simply not clearing. I’m praying and hoping to get out of the hospital later this morning and spend the next six days resting at home before my opportunity to finally see a gastroenterologist. I retired at the end of 2018 after spending my full-time working years as a Music Minister. I have been a friend of your music minister Phil for many years. In all my years of ministry I never missed leading worship any two Sundays in a row due to sickness. Since retirement I’ve been fulfilling a strong since of call to help in a smaller church that couldn’t afford the salary for a full-time music pastor. And as of last Sunday I have missed 3 Sundays in a row with no clear picture as to when I’ll be able to lead again. Being here in this hospital bed has become an incredible challenge. I’ll spare the details. I just want you to know that watching your video this morning has refreshed my soul. Thanks for reminding this life-long minister that our satisfaction, fulfillment, peace and joy are solely in Christ. I’ve had much pain and discomfort during the last six weeks, but during the time I watched this video I didn’t even notice my pain. More importantly, I’ve been reminded that in Christ I have it all even if I can’t be where I thought I needed to be each week. Thanks for sharing your story so eloquently!

7 Likes

Thanks Tim, I’ll try that! Was trying to do the acronym thing but kept forgetting them. Maybe between your suggestion & coming up with new, snazzy acronyms it’ll finally sink in…

These helped me:

Spaces: ACEG: All Cows Eat Grass

Lines: GBDFA: Good Boys Do Fine Always (I usually think of “Great Big Dogs Follow Amy”)

And this was helpful to me too: Middle C is one line above the bottom staff and one line below the top staff:

3 Likes

Ben,

Your last video was hugely moving to me.

God bless you.

Boyd

4 Likes

Thank you very much for this extremely valuable lesson. This lesson is a blessing that has come at just the right time. As a follower of yours now for many years, I must tell you I found this lesson to be one of the most helpful yet. Also, my wife and I were both deeply moved by your testimony. In the past I also have struggled with balancing my faith and giving in to the Holy Spirit.

My wife and I serve on our church’s worship team for the mid week service, which has evolved into an old time/hymn based worship service that we lead. Your teaching of how add to kick off the song and to add to the melody for impact is extremely helpful for us and the other musicians. We have been ‘winging it’ and now see a better way to plan effectively for us and the others we play with. Much of the music we play has been inspired by your lessons, and we just added ‘I surrender all’ to our list. My wife leads the vocals and plays upright bass, and I go back and forth from guitar and mandolin depending on the other musicians available. Our church is in a urban setting in Tacoma, WA, and many who attend are new believers in recovery from years of addiction and homelessness. The people who come are deeply moved by the old hymns and bluegrass based worship which to a large extent been inspired by you (…and your sisters of course!). Thank you and keep the hymn studies coming! You are a great blessing to us and our church.

7 Likes

Wow, thank you for posting that! Praise God!

4 Likes

What an AMAZING idea!

Hymn studies in such great detail. We can learn and praise all together! A great idea: Hymns to Bluegrass what chorale is to Piano Studies!

The ‘Bach of the Banjo’ title remains as relavant as ever. Thank you @BanjoBen for this novel and inspirational set of lessons.

Sending positive energy throughout our musical corner of the Bluegrass world.

2 Likes

Ben, I have been looking for the D scale study you mention in the lesson and I have yet to find it. Could you point me in the right direction? I have printed out some scale studies, but can’t find D. Thanks!

Steph

1 Like

Hi Steph. I am not sure if this is the right one, but this is the one that came to mind. It covers 2 octave scales including D.
https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/2-octave-scale-exercises-mandolin-beginner

3 Likes

Thank you!!!

1 Like

Ben,

I love this Hymn! I hear it every Sunday at our Baptist Church! We sit near the front lol! This lesson is wonderful! Thank you so much! God Bless!

Jeff

3 Likes

I love these Hymn Studies, I can’t wait for more. @BanjoBen, would you be able to make a guitar version of this one?

1 Like

Great idea, on the list!

1 Like