Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the lesson: Intro to Music Theory Part 11- Major Scale Studies

Thank you, Mr. G! I always wished that I could take a music theory class, and you are giving us a good start on this. I appreciate you putting the cookies on the bottom shelf for us, and as I work through the beginner path, I’m looking forward to learning more along the way.

1 Like

I cannot thank you enough the way this series is explained is brilliant . I finally understand music theory the concept anyhow . this whole series has explained so much that seamed so complicated . that is infact not so difficult to understand
Thanks
Bryon

3 Likes

I am a complete music and banjo novice. I cannot thank you enough for these simple building blocks. I cannot profess to "get it " completely yet, but wow! I so “get” a great deal of it and some things I never understood I now understand. It has helped my playing enormously!

1 Like

I apologize if this is an inappropriate question. I just joined, and when I try to get to community guidelines it just spins. I have watched all the theory videos, and perhaps missed this, but I was wondering—if the banjo is primarily in G, and the major chords are G, C, and D, why is there a B string instead of a C string?

You’re question is fine!

“Standard” tuning for the banjo is in the key of G.

The major triad for G chord ( 1, 3, & 5) is G, B, D.

When you play all strings open you are playing a G chord.

If you had a string tuned to C it would not play the desired chord when strummed.

Does this help explain it?

4 Likes

Welcome @detracy1!

Please, keep the questions coming because that is how we all learn collectively. Also, those that explain the answers get practice on HOW to answer most effectively - so everyone wins!

Post often, my friend!

1 Like