Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Guitar lesson: Alternating Thumb Fingerstyle- Lesson #3

You can totally do that and many do, and I encourage you to try if more comfortable, but this is just the approach/style I’m teaching.

1 Like

I certainly agree with BB Clark. In fact, I’ve gravitated to a guitar 4- finger style using a thumbpick and bare 1st, 2nd & Ring finger. I’m discovering that certain Fingerstyle patterns almost demand use of the ring, or at least make Fingerstyle much easier and is certainly the “classic” right-hand technique. (Note that Pioneer Fingerstyle Merle Travis used only his Thumb & 1st finger, but this comes at a disadvantage also) For me, it took some time & practice to incorporate the ring finger effectively probably because I’ve played 3-finger banjo for years and was not used to it. Fingerstyle Guitar is not easy to learn at first, but once you get going, you’re going to love the sound!

Loved this lesson series! I’m attaching a modified version I wrote for additional practice, as you suggested at the end of the final video. I wanted to add some pinky exercises into it so I can start developing precision with that finger. I deliberately wrote it a bit above my own musical pay-grade so as to make it more challenging. I also tried to make it a little more melodic. I’m not sure I tied all the notes together correctly when writing the tab, so feel free to correct any errors. I’m still pretty new. I’d love to know what you think of it, though.

Guitar Practice Tab.pdf (359.0 KB)

2 Likes

I hope I attached the PDF correctly…

Looks great. Thanks!

I think it’s great and good job on the challenge!

Thank you and Mike_R for taking a look and giving feedback! Greatly appreciate it!

1 Like

I am having trouble opening the PDF, is there a trick to it? I am on a Mac

Yes, you need a PDF reader. Search Adobe Reader