Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Waypoints- Learning the Banjo Neck- D Chord

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/waypoints-learning-the-banjo-neck-d-chord-banjo-intermediate

You know those banjo pickers that know exactly where to put their fingers? I want you to be one, too. We continue our Waypoints Study where I systematically teach you the banjo neck in a fun and memorable way! You know the G & C chord, now let’s learn the “waypoints” on the banjo neck for the D chord and how to use them!

6 Likes

I say, I say, the day is finally here when @Archie can do a cartwheel across his Scottish living room with no worries about his kilt…I’ve finally made it!

7 Likes

8 Likes

Thankyou @BanjoBen

1 Like

@Mark_Rocka It’s been a long wait. But he has FINALLY done it.

3 Likes

Holy cow! We’d better all go buy lottery tickets. I thought this day would never come.

*Edit to say that this looks like it’ll go a long way toward learning how to play in the key of D without a capo.

4 Likes

love it!

Is this an acceptable substitution:

Sure is, thanks!

With my wife’s customer appreciation event behind us, I can finally get to this long awaited lesson. Something that I forgot I had learned in the past is the “cheat code” for knowing how to move up and down the 1st 2 strings. Going from low to high, finger spacing on strings 1 and 2 will go 2 frets apart, 1 fret apart, side by side, so 2, 1, 0 over and over.

The cheat code to stack on top of that is that between each inversion, you will skip over 2 frets. Learn those 2 things and you can play the entire fretboard. This is why it’s so important to watch the videos and not just work from the tabs,

I forgot how much these Waypoints lessons make me think, which is one of the reasons I appreciate them so much. Maybe in the next 6 years we’ll get a follow up lesson showing how Ben combines the G, C, and D Waypoints lessons to create an improv lead. I know, I know. The information is all there already. I just figured it’d be a softball lesson.

4 Likes

Hi @Mark_Rocka funny that you should reference the "lesson showing how Ben combines the G, C, and D Waypoints lessons to create an improv lead. " @BanjoBen did mention that the D Waypoints Lesson is the one we have all been waiting for “the one that completes the Waypoints Course” So don’t hold your breath :rofl:

So I have been working with this lesson on and off since Ben uploaded it. I am on last leg now Adding Licks. I thought this is going to be easy but my brain has a different approach and I am struggling to play it through. So I am working backwards on this. I worked on it for about an hour today and I am about two thirds of the way through. Once I’ve nailed it I will be revisiting Waypoints G & C

2 Likes