Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Unlock the Banjo Neck with Patterns

That there lesson just twanged my buds for banjo backup! Thanks Ben! Very logical and practical way to add to our arsenal of back up ideas. Whew! Got to get to work on that pronto brother!

3 Likes

Such a great explanation and application! This is the secret sauce I’ve needed! (Even better than Whataburger) Will practice, practice, practice! Thank you!

4 Likes

What a fantastic job you’ve done of explaining and applying the “connective tissue” of diatonic chords! This lesson opens up so many new paths. Thank you so much! Also, really appreciate you leaving in your “crash and burn”:grin:

3 Likes

:joy::rofl::joy::rofl: Haha, I don’t know, that’s a pretty big claim!

2 Likes

@heley,

Hunter, thanks for posting and welcome to the very best forum for passionate and supportive Bluegrass Students!

Please visit/post often!

1 Like

Has the dreaded ownership changed yet?

I wanna see these Whataburgers spring up all over into Michigan!

You know, I am surprised that through all my travels in the south, this has gotten by me :hamburger:

Having lived in Texas (ok, I was in training and saw nothing, but still…), Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, South Carolina and numerous trips to TN and through all these Southern States.

How would @Jake’s EXPRESS SHIPPING work with placing orders for some fine Whataburgers :hamburger:?

Man, I am hungry…

3 Likes

Thanks Ben, Really good lesson. It helps you understand the neck better and opens up new opportunities. Its amazing how there is so much too learn in the basics.

2 Likes

Thanks Ben!
At first it was frustrating, then I remembered you could play a fence post if the wire was tight. Trying to work in the licks occasionally to enhance my already mediocre style. Good job on the lesson! JLB

3 Likes

Imagine how surprised I was when realizing that my sweet darlin’ (who won my heart by playing his 12-string) shared a fast moving number moving up and down the fretboard-- playing the Diatonic scale!!! At lunch I asked him did he know he actually wrote a great piece using this scale and he turned to me and said, “the Dia-what??” What a GREAT lesson-- Pow! Music is magic…no question! Thanks for a great lesson, Ben!

3 Likes

Really liked this lesson, especially the applications part. So often I work through licks but have a hard time fitting them in. It was good to see you do this. Thanks!

3 Likes

Great Lesson Ben. Thank you! Definitely some light bulbs going on here. My personal journey right now is to pick up some music theory - and having watched your Alan Munde fretboard geography lesson and then this one - I have finally started to sense the relationship between chords and relative minors. In that how when you play the first two strings you are playing one chord but once you add the lower strings the chords become minor variants the major scale progression - for some shapes. Can’t say I really have EVERYTHING - but lightbulbs are coming on!!! Thanks Ben,

4 Likes

Wow. This might be my favorite lesson ever. I’ve watched it about 8 times already (all segments) and still pick up new tidbits each time. Another few viewings and I’ll have it down. Bravo, @BanjoBen!

3 Likes

I incorporated this lesson with the RKgiveaway contest. I’ll post this in the contest forum too but I wanted to post it here per @BanjoBen’s request for videos using this lesson.
https://youtu.be/GXnUrBpuRAI

6 Likes

Good work @Bcaves

3 Likes

I was wondering where that up the neck part came from. Nice job! I can’t wait to sink my teeth into this lesson.

4 Likes

The up the neck back up was tough for me but I’m getting better.

3 Likes

First time in 8 years of banjo pickin’ that I found myself enjoying THEORY!

8 Likes

Thanks for this lesson, Ben. It helped (helps😂) with my “up the neck” playing.

3 Likes

Wow, that’s quite a comment! Thanks!

4 Likes

Banjo Ben… so if I understand this, while playing back up … all we need to do if in the key of D ( for example) is play the two strings that make up the chords in the key of D, no need to retune the banjo. Correct?

1 Like