Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: The Foggy Mountain Lick

Send me an email and I’ll send you my tab for my arrangement :wink:

Boy dont take this lesson lightly. Kinda passed over it thinking it will work itself out. Got into Ben’s break down and sure enough got hung up on the lick, had to go on back and go through it again. This is such a well thought out program.

1 Like

You couldn’t be more right Steve2. The speed and accuracy are the hardest part. I am not a patient person but am finding these lessons naturally making me more confident and with that quicker. Keep pickin is what they keep telling em and it seems to be working. Good luck!

Hey y’all I need some hep, I tried to learn this lick when I first got on the sight, back when I was just starting banjo, I gave up on trying to learn it other than what I needed to play in other songs, I try to play it at least once every day, and still no improvement on the FMBD arrangement, I can drop my thumb down no problem and can play it slow just fine but cannot increase the tempo at all. I need to learn this song for something and need help let me know what you think I need to change. Thanks https://youtu.be/dTfUbTV26ds

1 Like

Hi Jesse, It sounds like you have the FMB Lick nailed assuming your dropping the thumb. It’s hard to tell from the camera angle and we can’t see your picking hand. The Em lick doesn’t sound right and maybe you should go back and review the lesson.

One thing I can see is you are lifting you’re middle finger a bit too high off the finger board. ( economy of movement ) Try to keep it closer. The key to the FMB Lick is listening and timing.

1 Like

Sounding pretty good! But yes you’re losing the hammer-on effect the faster it goes…it’s frustrating but more slow practice is what the doctor orders.

3 Likes

I don’t know if this will help you, but when I learned that lick I said it in my head. Hammer Hammer 5215, Hammer Hammer 5215. It might be worth a shot

2 Likes

Many many years ago I was trying to learn Foggy Mt BD. I was sitting on the porch as not to bother the family when my brother came in with a friend who paused to listen. She said “you are not doing that exactly right.” I stopped and handed her my banjo. As I removed my picks to loan her, she reached into her pocket and announced “I have my own.” A note to all here, when the girl has her own picks, YOU ARE ABOUT TO GET A LESSON. She introduced me to the alternating thumb and kindly helped me with the lick. That was over 40 years ago. Recently I started playing again and to me the FMBD lick requires much attention to keep it smooth and in time. Don’t get discouraged and by all means get a banjo mute. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

It was a girl who taught me the Foggy Mountain Breakdown Roll Her name is Murphy Henry. She has her own picks and knows how to use them.

3 Likes

Great story @5-StringPilgrim

2 Likes

Ben

Could I get you to send your version of the tab on Foggy Mountain Breakdown? My email is boonem@swbell.net

I have been reading through this post hoping to find a reference.

Thanks!
Mike Boone

1 Like

Thank you, I also noticed just today that my alternating thumb had a timing issue so I fixed it and it’s starting to improve, thank you all for your input.

I prefer variation 3 , than 1

2 Likes

Ben, at the end of the variation video you state “now let’s put this lick into use”. What would be the next video in which I would find you using this lick in a song…? thnx. Nevermind, BBreakdown - found it

1 Like