Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Cripple Creek- Timing Theory

Hi Sue @sue.doggie.doright , I have a thing about slides, pull-offs & hammer-ons. I don’t rush them. I want to HEAR the first note before I HEAR the second note. If that makes sense. Play >pause< slide

I am just not content until hear that separation of notes. Think about the two tone door bell in the AVON ad and you wont be far off.

1 Like

a slide is: pluck the note then slide. I totally get that but the note that “kindof” sounds when you slide is drowned out if there is to be a simultaneous plucking of another note.
so i hear the 2 and the 0 not the three.
Am I making sense?

Correct. You will hear the 3 but the open 0 will kind of drown it out. There will be tension caused because the the 3 and 0 are a half step apart on the scale, but that’s part of the sound we’re after.

3 Likes

well ok then!
guess I’ll have to work on my timing for this. I find it surprisingly difficult.

1 Like

Hi Sue, It’s natural that you find this difficult when your new to the banjo. As time goes on all this will become second nature. Trust Me.

You need to break a few eggs to make the perfect omelette.

Looking closely at the measure of TAB with the slide in it. If you remove the slide what your left with is a roll pattern. The roll sets the timing. The slide is merely an ornament.

1 Like

Ha! I’m NOT really new to banjo… perhaps new to doing it correctly :laughing:
I like the “this is a roll” explanation. That is very helpful.

1 Like

It took me a while until someone pointed this out to me. I used to get very frustrated especially when learning pull offs. @BanjoBen is such a great teacher and what I like about his teachings is he explains things so well.