Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Banjo Square Roll Study

Ben, I just got your anchors in the mail…it is amazing how much I have improved in a short amount of time. My hand doesn’t wander forward and the sound on the strings are much crisper. My speed is also much improved as I am not guessing where my fingers need to go…I just set the anchor and I’m off…I am up to 170 bpm and I know I can go faster…Im just up to the cripple creek lesson but I’m loving it.

Talk soon,

Larry

2 Likes

Thanks for asking the same question that I was going to ask!

2 Likes

With a few minor tweaks, measure 41 could be the basis for a cover of either the intro to “Lucy in the sky with diamonds” OR the verse of “Lady” by Little River Band.

Edit: that is about 3:15 of part 4 if anyone wants to find what I am talking about.

I started this square roll lesson being mad and frustrated with my fingers. I kept at it and now I feel a sense of accomplishment and confidence.

@BanjoBen Great lesson. I appreciate your encouraging manner.

4 Likes

welcome Greg, Nothing like a frustrating banjo roll to calm you down. Now time to get started on the backwards roll now that is a real challenge. banjo

Excellent to hear!

Hi Ben, just started. When you say be proficient, what does that mean/look like?

3 Likes

Hi Nathan! I think what Ben has said in the past is that once one can play something from memory and can do it without thinking through each note is the start of proficiency. In other words, you don’t have to be able to play it at the highest speed before working on other things.

I hope that answers the right question.

3 Likes

Hi @nhorgan23 Nathan welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum. Mike nail it. Just work on through the beginners learning path at your own pace and you will find everything begins to fit. Work through each lesson till you are comfortable then move on to the next. You can always go back to a previous lesson to refresh your memory or practice what you have already covered. Once you complete the beginners learning path you’ll be ready to try your hand at lessons from the Intermediate & Advanced sections.

2 Likes

Yep, great advice from these guys! Keep it up!

2 Likes

I am very much a newbie learning the banjo. One thing I have been doing that I hope is ok is I pick whatever 3 chord song that comes to mind while playing a roll and sing it while I play. It forces me to switch chords and gives practice with the roll.

2 Likes

Welcome to the Forum Rachel !

1 Like

welcome to the Forum Rachel! Glad to have you on board. You have definitely come to the right place to learn banjo. @BanjoBen get’s into all the detail that many other teachers skip over and his lessons are fun and informative, your gonna love it here. If you have any questions just holler, this is a family friendly forum and if Ben is not around to help, someone will try their best to answer your query until Ben is free to get back to you.

1 Like

These lessons are like a good novel I just can’t put down. Thank you!

2 Likes

Really thought I was doing good with square rolls, then I became a gold pick member and started from the beginning. This was humbling but awesome!!!

2 Likes

Good to hear @msg_smith! Honored to have you!

1 Like