Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Banjo Forward-Reverse Roll Study

Good question. The reason they sound the same is because the are the same note.

The 3rd string is tuned to G - Fretted at the fourth fret it becomes B
The second string is tuned to B so both strings will sound a B note.

Well, I guess that would would make sense! Am I reading the tab incorrectly then? Seems like the notes sound different in the demo.
Thanks again!

Hi Matthew, I can’t really tell if your reading the TAB correctly or not, I don’t possess such powers, mores the pity. If your playing from the PDF file real slow then perhaps things may not come out sounding right.

The thing about Scruggs Style Banjo is, Earl would often play the same note twice on different strings to emphasise the sound and this is a prime example of this happening. Played up to speed those two notes merge as one sound. Played slowly it sounds off. The key thing here is to learn the roll pattern and become proficient at doing it. Below the measure you will see the right hand fingering, if you follow that closely you should be reading the TAB correctly.

If you care to post a video in the Video Swap Area @BanjoBen will be able to check what your doing and advise accordingly. Hope this helps

Makes sense. Just a double note then. Thanks for the help- I really appreciate the support.

1 Like

Yes in a sense it just a double note as your reading it, but played in the right context and at speed it will sound like a quarter note.

Have the PDF Tabs been taken down for this lesson? I cannot download them. Thanks

I just downloaded them…worked fine…

Try refreshing your page then downloading, thanks!

I’m not able to download the tabs either, even after refreshing the screen.

1 Like

Hey @Tec! Welcome!

The downloads are working fine for me; what web browser are you using?

1 Like

I dont understand what’s happening with the rhythm track the solo is only about 30 seconds and the track is a minute and 20 seconds, am I supposed to keep looping the solo and if so do I use the 321 on the low D string?

1 Like

Hi Jesse

The rhythm track repeats three times. So you could kick of with a solo, vamp and sing in the middle section and end with the solo. Connect the three sections with a walk down on the 4th string.

2 Likes

Excellent. Thank you

After 40 years of guitar, I find the most frustrating thing is the C chord! Trying to get it to ring clear is driving me crazy! But I’ll persevere!

2 Likes

I’m confused by your pickup counting on the WMB mp3 slow version. I expected to hear, 1, 2, 3, 4 (with each beat of the metronome), then again 1, and then I start playing the pickup notes for the remaining 3 notes (with the metronome or not).

Instead you say 1 without the metronome, and then the metronome beat alone (which I think is 2), then you say 2 with the metronome (which I think is the 3 beat) and then the metronome beat alone (the 4 beat for me), and then 1, 2, 3, with the metronome (and no 4) and then a pause (or 2)?.

So, I can’t tell when to play the first note (the 2 beat). What is the convention for counting in because obviously I don’t know it. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @drmiller Dan Ok so you come in on the silent 4 - 1 2 3 -Here banjo

Listen to the banjo solo mp3 - The banjo plays pick up notes so there is a lag with the guitar

1 Like

I have the concept down and can play the song through, slowly. But I’m really struggling on get my fingers down fast enough to play the C chord. Any suggests on how to get this part down? Or is it best doing what I’m doing, just playing the song over and over.

1 Like

This is quite common with new players. It’s more of a thought process rather than the physical action & speed. Just practice lifting the C shape on a off the strings whilst watching TV and soon you’ll be doing it on autopilot. Repeat the process for other chord shapes. Best to do this slowly. Speed comes with experience.

I find it strange that when I was practicing the forward and reverse rolls I can play the partial C with no problem. It’s that dang middle finger that is throwing me off. Lol. So I’ll just keep at it and I’ll throw in your advice. Since I’m just starting off I usually practice the forward, reverse, and the forward/ reverse rolls every night.

1 Like

Hi Richard So are you having problems placing the middle finger down on the string or the middle finger you use to pick the string ?

If the fretting hand, Practice putting down the middle finger first, followed by the index and ring. This is really just a thought process. By focusing your attention on the middle finger landing accurately the other two fingers should fall into place. Spend 15 mins on this then take a break and try again tomorrow.