Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Banjo Forward-Reverse Roll Study

Glad to have you, @foxgeno!

1 Like

Welcome aboard, @foxgeno!

1 Like

Welcome I’m sure you will learn alot as I have.

1 Like

Hi Eugene Welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum, Let me just say that we all struggle in the beginning, What might seem like an impossible task today can easily be achieved within a week or two through Patience Practice and Perseverance

2 Likes

thanks

1 Like

Welcome I’m fairly new here myself (starting my 2nd month) Your definetly in the right spot.

1 Like

Hi Geno… assuming I can call you that?

You are among many friends here!

WELCOME - and ENJOY!

2 Likes

WHOOOOOPEEEEE!!!
Starting to hear a Melody come out of Jezebel (my Banjer) when I’m playing Worried man Blues. Timing still sounds like my ol Harley missing on the front cylinder lol but hey I’m bulling through the song completely. Practice Practice Practice
:sunglasses::sweat_smile::musical_note::musical_note::musical_note::musical_note:

4 Likes

Hehe it can sound a bit funky and cool :blush: IF it is a car that runs on 3 out of 4

1 Like

I see you took my advice Woody, it’s amazing what a little bit of study and practice can produce. Stick with it Buddy you can only get better.

1 Like

Finally getting this !!! Doing it at only about 70 BPM. I really thought this was going to be impossible for me. As funny as it sounds, its pretty exciting and couldn’t help myself to post this :champagne: I think the next impossible task is Dmajor and Fmajor … that and making it through the Daddy-Daughter Dance this evening. :family_man_girl:

1 Like

Am I the only one that can’t get the vids to play at all?

First song on the banjo I learned right here from this guy. I have actually this year committed to going back to this and working on getting the F/R down perfect. I think I rushed some of these fundamentals the first go round. So going back to the basics a new years resolution of sorts. Paying off. Had the best practice I’ve had in a long time. Turning on metronome and setting at 92 bpm and just smoothly doing the F/R and then as I get warmed up I play some of those fundamental licks from the early days.

4 Likes

Sorry to hear that, @electrozap_29. Please send me a message through the contact form on the help page and we’ll get you fixed up.

1 Like

Hi Jason I regularly revisit the fundamental stuff. particularly backwards rolls and inside rolls. which can trip you up when played up to speed. Learn them slowly, practice them slowly and cleanly. When the time is right speed will find you.

2 Likes

I just thought that reverse roll lesson was difficult…this one makes my head hurt! F-R is cool though, since it’s 8 counts. Time for some wood-shedding…

1 Like

You can do it! If you do it like I teach you, you will really, truly learn it!

1 Like

Hi Ben

I’m a week into learning the banjo and I was wandering when learning this piece should I be aiming to play it like the preview before I move on because I can play it slowly but would take ages to get up to speed with accuracy like in the preview

Thanks

I’d say as long as you can play it from memory (no using tabs) and as long as you continue to play it so you don’t forget it, move on to other lessons. Learning other songs will help you progress, and you’ll continue to get better no matter what you play.

Your improved skill from other songs will show on this one.

Sounds like “I’ve got a home in glory land that outshines the sun!”

Agree with Mark completely.