Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Arkansas Traveler

Mark has it figured…

1 Like

Right now I follow you. So because my fifth string is tuned to A rather than spiked at the 7th I should therefore fret the 5th string at the 10th fret to get my D note. And that’s the reason my 5th string fretted at the 12th sounds out…

I guess I need to go back and revisit @BanjoBen 's lesson on the use of capo’s,

Thanks @Mark_Rocka your my hero :sunglasses:

Adding a wee footnote here for @BanjoBen . Might be worth reminding student’s of this little anomaly next time you do a lesson that involves fretting the fifth string. Not all banjos have spikes

1 Like

If you can, that’s the way to go. In the cases where I was retuning the 5th string, I couldn’t physically get my thumb in place in time to make the note. Your mileage may vary.

Glad I can return the favor every now and then. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, and I don’t know what the shipping would cost, but these little guys are GREAT if you’re missing a needed spike.

Shipping, VAT and Handling Charges would cost more than the capo.

Since I only use my Fender for study and daily practice and I don’t come across too many tunes that involve hooking the thumb. I’ll just soldier on. Now that I know about this little anomaly in future I shall pull the Stelling out of it case and give it an airing.

2 Likes

OK this lesson is officially the hardest banjo song on this site I have found so far. I have played it for almost a year and still cannot do it any faster than 120 without screwing it up. LOL. @BanjoBen.

Love the new backup lessons. Revisiting all your backup lessons. This song is a beast for backup too. Probably the hardest teardrop style backup song I have tried. Any tips on how to get through this song on backup banjo. I cant pull it out on Jam night until I can actually back someone up playing it.

1 Like

Here you go, see if this helps!

4 Likes

This is what I love about being a @BanjoBen Student. Tell me guy’s where else do you get this level of response from an online subscription tutorial website. In my experience your lucky if the teacher acknowledges your existence let alone answers your query.thank_you Ben.

2 Likes

Thanks Ben for the quick response. Sounds great, and not that hard. I like how you gave it some variety by playing quarter notes on the A part, and exclusively vamping on the B part. It that something you would typically do on any fiddle tune playing backup?

No, it would vary by song and instrumentation

“It’s changing so fast, you can’t be wrong for very long” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::laughing: