Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Covid - 19 - Light on the Horizon

That’s fair comment Mark, but we really don’t know what the outcome of this pandemic will be in the long term the 99.97% recovery rate doesn’t mean folks will be immune for life or indeed are no longer carriers of the virus. We don’t know what the long term outcome of the vaccines will be. The same it true for Penicillin hailed as a wonder treatment- It has cured a lot of people but not everyone and I get it people are fearful of new drugs.

Peggy raises an important point in her comment

Peggy is right, Covid is with us now for a lifetime or more. Allowed to go unchecked we just don’t know how the virus will behave, it could wipe out the world population. We can look back in history and see how some populations have died out.

My point about the population of Scotland being wiped out is not as daft as you might think. We are a small country by that I mean the amount of land mass, most of that land is unpopulated. We currently have a population of around 5.46 million, a high percentage of the population is centred in and around our towns and cities. We are very much a close knit society. We are all interconnected in some way or another but mostly through family connections or ties with each other.

I get it that you want to live your life, we all want that for sure. But if wearing a mask and following some basic guidelines allows you some form of protection why would folks not want to do that, that’s what I can’t understand. One thing is clear, we see things a whole lot differently this side of the big pond.

I am no expert but I have witnessed a lot of great medical breakthrough’s in my lifetime. I hope and pray these vaccines are a part of that scientific solution.

Hi @Scot Andrew

I share your view, but life is life and despite what you might feel about this conversation. We are all friends here. We care about each other and we want you to be a part of this community. There are other threads on the forum that deal with pickin and playing music where we will be happy to answer any queries you may have.

2 Likes

Scot, there are plenty of other threads full of picking discussions here to enjoy. Nothing I said in my post is my own words. According to the CDC, those with comorbidities not only make up the vast majority of COVID deaths (94%) they are also nearly as susceptible to death from other seasonal diseases.

“…‘comorbidities increase your risk of dying from COVID-19—is not a surprise at all,’ Lessler says. ‘This would be true for the flu or cancer or chicken pox. Really almost any disease you can name, your risks for death increase if you have other diseases and other conditions that make you sick.’”

I’m 48, and I don’t remember the entire nation ever shutting down and preventing people from earning a living over the flu, or even the original SARS, swine flu, avian flu, or any number of potential pandemics I’ve seen in my lifetime.

Is COVID more deadly? Evidence says yes, but there are confounding factors that I’ve already mentioned. To me, it seems at least as equally heartless to demand that a family stop earning a living as it does to want people to get on with life and risk getting COVID. Just Google food bank lines to see the economic impact these shutdowns are having. For the first time in decades, the world’s average poverty level is increasing. I find that at least as serious as COVID.

I don’t come to this forum to debate, so this will be my last post on this topic. I’ll continue to check in. I appreciate everyone keeping things civil.

7 Likes

Let’s close this one please, thanks!

13 Likes