Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Carter Vintage Guitars

Ok, I made it Nashville for the October camp. The weather is spectacular - sunny, 80 degrees, just beautiful. Having grown up in the Ohio River Valley, I know that October is THE best month of the year in this area, and Nashville is not disappointing me on that front (no pun intendedā€¦)

The highlight of my day today was visiting Carter Vintage Guitars. I took my own guitar in with me so that I could compare it straight up with the Martin guitars Iā€™ve always heard so much about. The folks at the store were fantastic. I spent a couple hours picking away. The more I kept playing, the more they kept bringing out guitars as we focused on what my guitar can do and what I might want in a different guitar. Man was that fun! The penultimate guitar was a $25,000 Martin D28 that was once owned by Ricky Skaggs. The ultimate guitar I played today was the 1937 D28 that was priced at $75,000!

I think Iā€™m just about up to the level of competence where I can recognize what good really is. (Kind of like the way a single digit handicap golfer is barely good enough to appreciate just how crazy good the pros are). Anyway, what I thought today was that these guitars really do sound different but the differences only shine if you can push them. I can see how if you were a pro making a living at playing then having one of these tools in your toolbox would be a requirement. But for me, it would be an extravagance. Still, maybe somedayā€¦

As a geeky math/engineery kind of guy, hereā€™s my graph of todayā€™s experienceā€¦

IMG_2412%20(1)

13 Likes

Thanks for the insight @rich. Iā€™m more on the mandolin and fiddle playing side but that sounds like an AWESOMELY FUN way to spend an afternoon.

5 Likes

Make it a point to visit Gruhn guitars as well. All of his vintage and collectible instruments are on the second floor as well. Both are pretty amazing places!

7 Likes

Cool! Carterā€™s was closed for covid when I was there

4 Likes

You played a $75,000 guitar!?!

Did you happen to notice if there was a sign in the store that says ā€œYou break it, you bought it?ā€ :flushed:

8 Likes

Yeah, I was being SUPER careful for sure!!! That said, these guitars have been played. A lot. Theyā€™re nicked up, scratched, worn, been worked on, etc. So cosmetically, you couldnā€™t really hurt them, LOL.

7 Likes

Glad theyā€™re back open. Like Gunnar said, they were closed back in July.

Hope yā€™all have a blast at camp! Sure am going to miss you.

7 Likes

Carters is my favorite guitar store in Nashville. Never been able to make to the upstairs of Gruhns, but if I did it might take the cake. I played a 1936 D-18 last time I was there, next time Iā€™m there Iā€™m hoping to play a prewar D-28. Ya know, if you put it on a payment plan a prewar Martin wonā€™t cost any more than a new car monthly. Maybe somedayā€¦

6 Likes

And would most likely be worth more after your debt is over with than what you you originally paidā€¦ unlike a new car which would be worth less than half of what you paid for it originally! Plusā€¦ the Martin wouldnā€™t cost you an arm and leg for gas, tires, constant wash jobs (cause itā€™s new you know) and other maintenance! And of course with any vintage instrument, you donā€™t have to worry about that first scratch, ding or dent (like you do a car) and will bring joy to you for the rest of your life (no matter how old you are)!

I say trade in the new Lexus for a Martin!

6 Likes

I agree 100%! Now if I only had a new lexus to trade inšŸ˜‚

6 Likes