Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Buck Owens, Banjo Ben, and Bakersfield

This reads like the start of a good story. If you are willing to share it @BanjoBen, it would be great to hear it. How did you find yourself there? What was Buck Owens like? Did you find something better on the streets of Bakersfield?

You don’t know me but you don’t like me,
You say you care less how I feel
How many of you that sit and judge me
Ever walked the streets of Bakersfield

I wish I had an interesting story, but not so much. Buck had his own club in Bakersfield called The Crystal Palace. The country radio station in town is a top reporting station, so radio acts would come through to promo their records and play a gig in the Crystal Palace. I went through there a few times with various artists and Buck was still playing almost every Friday/Saturday night! I couldn’t believe it. But, things had changed, I guess, cause he insisted that he go on first so he could get to bed. Haha. We had a joke for a long while that Buck Owens had opened for US!

4 Likes

Thanks for the response Ben. It is still a good story. Although if it is all the same to you, I am going to keep on imagining you and Buck Owens tossing TVs out a sixth story hotel room window.

1 Like