Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Breaking the ceiling

Hi Tye

Not really sure what your saying here.

As a proud student of the Murphy Method I’d just like to say that Murphy teaches a lot more than just a bunch of tunes ( a comment often used over on the BHO to discredit her teaching method by some of the “so called” professional teachers out there ) In point of fact Murphy teaches, Rolls, Pinches, Slides, Hammer-ons, Pull-Offs Bends, Chokes, Harmonics. Timing and a whole lot more.

If you or this teacher you mention has failed to grasp this then let me just correct you about the statement above.

Murphy teaches ALL the fundamentals a beginner student needs to get started on their journey. It’s fair to say she does use different terminology to most other teachers but she qualifies this by adding her name to her teaching method. If you have studied any of her lessons you will often hear her say “that’s an eighth note with a pause after it.” or " that’s a quick note" I’ll admit she is not heavy on theory but she does include some in her lessons.

Murphy’s strength in teaching lies within her tremendous communication skills. Skills that most of her rivals lack. I have explored pretty much all the other teaching methods out there and I can honestly say with hand on heart none have taught me more than Murphy.

It’s true her approach to teaching banjo, guitar and mandolin lessons is centred around tunes but all the elements a beginner/intermediate student needs to learn their chosen instrument are there if you take the time to study. In her lessons each individual lick is broken down and taught step by step pretty much in the same way as @BanjoBen teaches his lessons and that is what attracted me to www.banjobenclark.com and why I became a Life Member here.

Murphy has come under a lot of criticism for her teaching method for years by other “so called professional teachers” and it kinda ticks me off when others recycle negative comments about her when clearly they don’t know or have failed to grasp why she chose to throw away the TAB books and devised a method of teaching (a build a break approach) that so many students have had success with.

I get it that some folks don’t like her teaching approach, there are many teaching methods out there that are a lot worst than the Murphy Method that I could list but I think it’s unprofessional to out them on a public forum.

IMHO Murphy Henry is a great teacher, like most teaching methods she has her limitations. What I can say is she taught me the basics, Geoff Hohwald taught me how to read TAB. With their help as a rookie student ten years ago I am now able to expand and develop my skill and knowledge right here up to advanced level thanks to @BanjoBen .

When folks attack the Murphy Method on a forum it’s a lot more than freedom of speech it’s bullying, What these folks are attacking is Murphy’s livelihood, her right to earn a living with what skills and knowledge the good Lord gave her.

1 Like

@Archie don’t get me wrong, I love Murphy’s teachings. She is an awesome player in her own right, I was just trying to say that on her first DVD, her explaining wasn’t in real depth, I have like 7 or 8 of her DVD’s/ I haven’t had a chance to go through all of them. I was by NO MEANS trying to say anything negative about her teachings. Heck, the first song I ever learned was “Banjo in the Hollo”…as Murphy would say. She is also the one I learned to play “FMB”, not exactly up to regular speed, but I can play it somewhat.

No worries Tye, I just spent too many years watching folks giving Murphy such a hard time on the BHO that I go off on a rant anytime folks mention her in anything remotely negative. I learned the basics from her original Beginners 1 & 2 DVDs + Jam Session Standards DVD and I can assure you the meat and potatoes were all there. Not sure what you missed unless you used the NEW Beginner DVDs.

1 Like

@Archie I get brother, I would NEVER downgrade anyone. I am so far down on the “Banjo food chain” that i cannot criticize anyone. And as for BHO, i dont visit or stay there for too long, i dont read anyone’s comments, I am usually just looking at banjos for sale. I tell you what ill go back and edit my original statement. I dont want anyone to think that you cannot learn some awesome songs and technics from her.

Edit it to say something like: She is good, but NOWHERE NEAR AS AWESOME AS THIS GUY NAMED BANJO BEN!!!

5 Likes

Awe shucks @BanjoBen your showing your modesty again,

1 Like

@BanjoBen Do i get some added stars on my profile??? lol.

1 Like

What guy ??? :-:rofl:

1 Like