Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Ben and Jake's stuff

I’m wearing my thumbpick out just a little, is that normal? I’ve had it about 9 mo.

I’m pretty sure that’s normal, mine is starting to wear out and I’ve had it for ± a year

I figured it was but I don’t have any visible wear on my flatpick.

1 Like

Your thumbpick is probably hitting the strings harder, always in the same place, and never reversed like your flatpick.

1 Like

Yeah for sure. I like how you can reverse the flat pick.

OK then.

Thumb pick - JD Crowe or Russ Carson?
Which size? The National Medium fits perfectly. The Dunlop and Golden Gate Mediums are too small.

Flat pick - Big selection of Blue Chips. ??? I have a mandolin and guitar. How do you guys find your favs? Seems awfully expensive to try them all.

Thanks,
M

1 Like

I recommend the Crowe. Go with the medium. It’s a metal band so you can stretch it out a bit if it’s a little too tight.

I recommend the TP40-1R. It’s a thin but stiff pick with two pointed edges and one round (the 1R) which allows some diversity: https://store.banjobenclark.com/products/bluechip-tp-1r-40

If you’re not used to the big triangle picks, then try out the TD40. If you don’t like it, send it back…just don’t destroy the plastic bag when you open it :wink:

2 Likes

Well… OK, I’ll give them a go… she said hesitantly :worried:

3 Likes

I actually wore down two different flatpicks (one on electric guitar, one on acoustic) so bad I couldn’t really use them anymore, but at that time my pick hand technique was lousy and I never reversed my pick either, they ended up looking rather funny, like a weirdly shaped egg :joy: